Vertical Lumber Storage

..Kev

7 hours ago, Larry Moore said:

Looks good but with only 8'6" ceilings it doesn't work with 9' to 10' stock 

This is a challenge!  I try and purchase 8' boards when I can.  I also do have some horizontal racks for longer material.

Great idea and build Kev. Were the holes in the 2x’s tight enough or did you have to epoxy the conduit pieces in place? The only thing I would have done differently is to add some kind of rubber cap to the ends of the conduit pieces such as these. 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubbermaid-100-Piece-Universal-End-Caps/4772377

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Great idea and build Kev. Were the holes in the 2x’s tight enough or did you have to epoxy the conduit pieces in place? The only thing I would have done differently is to add some kind of rubber cap to the ends of the conduit pieces such as these. 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubbermaid-100-Piece-Universal-End-Caps/4772377

The conduit holes are angled slightly so, there was really no need to epoxy them in.  If it is an issue in the future, I can.

As for the ends, I did file them clean and the rubber caps actually sound like a good idea!  

On 8/24/2019 at 8:07 AM, Larry Moore said:

Looks good but with only 8'6" ceilings it doesn't work with 9' to 10' stock 

17 hours ago, ..Kev said:

This is a challenge!  I try and purchase 8' boards when I can.  I also do have some horizontal racks for longer material.

I actually laid out my new shop plan with an area under the tallest portion of the roof pitch for vertical lumber storage.  I have also found that over time I can get away with having the yard crosscut longer pieces at a good location, figure wise.  That is, there are locations on many boards that I would never use as a continuous run due to undesirable figure. I have 14 foot board cut in two at that location.  This can solve your "too-tall-Paul" problem when it comes to vertical storage.  Once you savor the advantages of not having to un-stack horizontal lumber piles to get to the board you want, you will get pretty inventive in order to store vertically :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gee-dub said:

I actually laid out my new shop plan with an area under the tallest portion of the roof pitch for vertical lumber storage.  I have also found that over time I can get away with having the yard crosscut longer pieces at a good location, figure wise.  That is, there are locations on many boards that I would never use as a continuous run due to undesirable figure. I have 14 foot board cut in two at that location.  This can solve your "too-tall-Paul" problem when it comes to vertical storage.  Once you savor the advantages of not having to un-stack horizontal lumber piles to get to the board you want, you will get pretty inventive in order to store vertically :)

Agreed..  Also, I'll go ahead and clip off the checked ends that often have other defects as well and that nearly always gets me closer to my vertical length.