Common screwdrivers at your bench

SawDustB

So in the midst of making the hand tool cabinet, I've been looking at what tools I should move into it. It's over my bench so I want the common items in there, and I don't mind having to go look for things I'll use only once a month or less.

I was thinking of dedicating a spot for a few screwdrivers, maybe get some nice wooden handled ones in keeping with the theme. So far my list is:

#1 and #2 Robertson (square drive)

#1 and #2 Phillips (maybe a #3?)

#6 and #8 flat head

Are there any others I'm missing? I don't use torx much, so I'm ok with needing to look for those. I'm thinking that I might get some of the Grace screwdrivers, since they're not ridiculous but they look pretty much exactly like what I want.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=70923&cat=1,43411,43417

The only one that stays out all the time is a SnapOn ratcheting screwdriver, with several bits in the handle compartment.

That chipbreaker screwdriver stays out on my sharpening sink.  It's the one tool I wish had a synthetic handle, instead of wood, because it can't help but get wet sometimes.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

#1 and #2 Robertson (square drive)

#1 and #2 Phillips (maybe a #3?)

#6 and #8 flat head

Exactly what I have above my bench, though I do use my cordless drivers on almost everything. I tend to use them to get feel for the torque after I've used the cordless and on finicky screws.

Oh, and of course for clocking the screws.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, K Cooper said:

If they would do away with slot head screws, I would chunk all of those drivers. They’re like black and white tv’s. 

I almost never use them, only if they come with something. Square drive screws look nice enough for me if I have a choice.

Screw drivers with the hex part right below the handle are super useful. Push down with your hand and use a wrench to get torque.

That said these are the only screw drives i use. I have like 6 of them which means if i can find one i have a #1 #2 philips, 2 sizes of flat, and 2 hex drivers.

dfghmdxfg.thumb.jpg.aa78a1e677670b0ce3b4b5ba650295fd.jpg

Though my impact does 95% of the driving i have 2 bits that cover the 4 major head types. I never use square drive screws. IMO they are worse than phillips for stripping so i never buy them. After i went to torx or lobe drive i exclusively use them, I've been running the same bit going on 7 years now.

• Like 2

@SawDustB , just thinking about the tools I'm always grabbing for, in addition to your screw driver assortment I'd have a utility knife, scissors, a wooden/rubber mallet and a couple of pliers.  

16 hours ago, K Cooper said:

If they would do away with slot head screws, I would chunk all of those drivers. They’re like black and white tv’s. 

They make great scrapers and mini pry bars.  And there's always old stuff around.  When our screws are loose, I'm sure they'll be slotted head.  :lol:

• Like 1

Good call on the other items @Mark J. I've got the utility knife and rubber mallet covered, but the scissors and pliers are a good idea. Of course, one advantage of my small shop in the garage is that most of my DIY stuff is in another work bench about 10 feet away where my sharpening stuff lives.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 10:36 AM, Immortan D said:

I have a set of wood handle Felo screwdrivers I use all the time, 2x phillips, 3x slotted. I have them hanging from one of my tool chest handles, I use them pretty much all the time. They're German made and I paid less then $30 for the whole set about  6 years ago.F22155__61119.1541624290.thumb.jpg.3dcb72ffca4a2bb248a8d11b3f49483b.jpg

F22155_3__58447.1541455104.thumb.jpg.a6c4638a065afc3b38e888ea2e4a1c53.jpg

This is what I have.   They're great screwdrivers...  I like that I can pound on them, and I even once used a wrench to help drive a #2 screw into my workbench when I was installing my vise.   And the tips are hardened steel, not the chowder that my old Craftsman screwdrivers were made of.

I also have a set of bit drivers for my cordless impact driver.... it depends on what your doing, I like having both options.   

• Like 1