How to Handle Flood Damage to Lumber

Atreyue

Hey guys! I could definitely use some help here. I've renting a house with a garage that floods. Thanks to my extreme luck, the two main spots where the water comes in are directly above my MDF-topped workbench and my table saw. Since I was only planning to use this garage as a workshop and for storage and I was busy with other stuff, it was about a month of steady rains before I realized this. I'm in the process of removing the rust from my tools and machines, but I've noticecd that most all of my stored lumber - luckily just a small amount of plywood and 2x - is all showing white and green mold. Do I just need to trash this wood, or is there a way to salvage it?

While the mold can be removed with bleach, rinsing and drying in sunlight the wood will likely warp from the moisture especially the plywood. It all depends on how much time you want to spend trying to salvage. You do need to improve the ventilation in the shop to avoid growing more mold. Is your landlord going to fix the leaks?

It really depends on what you plan on using the material for. If you are going to use it for building a wall, get the material dry and hit it with bleach as stated above. The trouble is you can kill the mold but it will leave the wood stained. If you are planning on using it in an application where you can see the wood I'd eliminate the mold sections. The lumber getting wet isn't an issue as long as everything stays strait.

For the ply, i wouldn't use it anywhere critical. Shelves for shop stuff or work benches ect is all I'd use it for. Long exposure to water could have softened the glue and may cause issues down the road.

16 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Found this in a brief search of the infalable internet:

https://moldblogger.com/3-reasons-why-you-should-never-use-bleach-to-clean-mold/

They are poo-pooing the use of bleach on wood.  Sounds like they know what they're talking about, but it's the internet so who knows what's true.

I've read the advice about not using bleach on many mainstream sources, so I tend to believe it.

3 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Maybe because using bleach incorrectly will make you dead?

Thats the case if you mix it with ammonia based cleaning agents, among other things. Its a good idea using bleach to never mix it with anything else and use plenty of water to rinse and plenty of fresh air. That said using bleach with the proper precautions is fairly safe, its in many household products and has been used in the washing machine for decades. Just dont be stupid with it.

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for the advice. I don't really have much faith in the landlord taking care of the leak, so I'm keeping my non-damaged wood in the basement and I'm going to regularly check the garage and have the wetdry vac at the ready until it's fixed. It's not too much wood and mostly plywood, so I think I'll give up on salvaging it.

21 hours ago, Tpt life said:

Hydrogen Peroxide is a common bleach alternative. Just look for the highest concentration you can source and wear PPE. 

You can get extremely high concentrate peroxide at pool and spa supply stores. Be aware the stuff is just as nasty as bleach can be as far as handling it with its own quirks.