Cast Iron Top Protection

Mark J

I know it's been discussed in the past and I should do a search, but I'm feeling lazy.  What do you all do to protect your cast iron tops?

I have a bottle of Boeshield and a can of CRC 3-36.  I could easily get some paste wax, or some other product.  I'm looking for easy and infrequent.  And I don't want it to mess with subsequent finishes.  

I've used the 3-36, since whenever that test came out in FWW, and have had very good luck with it.  Some of my machines sit in an un-conditioned building, and they're holding up fine.  I started out with an aerosol can, but switched to a gallon to fill pump sprayers, so the sprayed mist is very controllable.

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

For the wax users, how about Minwax Finishing Wax?  Or should I keep on looking for Johnson's?

Tom, how often do you have to reapply the CRC?

I don't keep up with it, but not more often than every several months, or after we use a machine, and know we won't use it again any time soon.  In that FWW test, it lasted Way longer than any wax.  I had used wax for years, but not since I started using 3-36.  If I know it might be a year, or more before we reuse a machine, I don't wipe it off, but just spray a heavy layer on.  It's not hard to wipe it down, even after that, when we do use it again.

edited to add:  It does have a solvent smell to it, so that I don't think I would want to use it in a basement shop.  It's not That bad, but I'd say some worse than WD40.