What's your dream build

harryangel69

What's your dream build.

I don't care why you don't do it. We all have are limitations.

Unlimited budget, unlimited time, and unlimited skill set at your disposal. What would you build just because you could?

I ask the question because I met a man a couple of days ago who won a small lottery. An older woodworker with a terminal illness. I not going to get into details, but he had asked himself that question. After a little small talk (which I am not very good at) he invited me into his house. Every piece of wood in the house was purpleheart. I was in shock, speechless. He said he had always had a love affair with the wood and when given a bankroll he just went for it. I mean crown, doors, bartop, just everything. He would not allow pictures and asked me not to blabbing it all over town. He said he had people absolutely livid that he had "wasted" so much wood, and did not show it off to many people anymore. I could ramble for hours, but it got me wondering What would I build?

Every thing that I think about building is to practice or work on a skill set. With the exception of my shop (which is not completed) I don't know that I have ever built any thing out of selfish want.

So What would I build? I don't think I know. Maybe the skill building is it.

To be honest, my dream build is "Brian’s Bookcase with Hidden Drawer". I've been wanting to build something like this for years, but was waiting for the skills, and to decide exactly where in my house it was going to go. When I saw this on The Wood Whisperer, site it was like seeing something from my imagination come to life.

What's your dream build.

I don't care why you don't do it. We all have are limitations.

Unlimited budget, unlimited time, and unlimited skill set at your disposal. What would you build just because you could?

I ask the question because I met a man a couple of days ago who won a small lottery. An older woodworker with a terminal illness. I not going to get into details, but he had asked himself that question. After a little small talk (which I am not very good at) he invited me into his house. Every piece of wood in the house was purpleheart. I was in shock, speechless. He said he had always had a love affair with the wood and when given a bankroll he just went for it. I mean crown, doors, bartop, just everything. He would not allow pictures and asked me not to blabbing it all over town. He said he had people absolutely livid that he had "wasted" so much wood, and did not show it off to many people anymore. I could ramble for hours, but it got me wondering What would I build?

Every thing that I think about building is to practice or work on a skill set. With the exception of my shop (which is not completed) I don't know that I have ever built any thing out of selfish want.

So What would I build? I don't think I know. Maybe the skill building is it.

Obsessive. I met a guy here at New Year who's house internals are almost entirely Macassar Ebony. Like most really great things they're best in small doses.

For me the my dream is to get these Acorns built that I am designing. Believe me if I can pull this off I shall feel sublime.

To be honest, my dream build is "Brian’s Bookcase with Hidden Drawer". I've been wanting to build something like this for years, but was waiting for the skills, and to decide exactly where in my house it was going to go. When I saw this on The Wood Whisperer, site it was like seeing something from my imagination come to life.

I wanted to build that desk in national treasure ever since I saw that movie. But I kind of assumed it was a staged movie prop. I could do it with motors or air but that is easy and cheating. Seeing that bookcase mechanism is just breath taking. I watched that little video like fifty times. Made my wife watch it. Just keep thinking I could sketch that up. Put it in something. I don't need a drawer to put my weed in anymore, but I will something in there.

Maybe a cabinet with a secret door to hide my planes. Hide my secret neanderthal.

I second that Queen Anne highboy. I have several projects in cue, waiting on several things from skill to lumber to space, but that is the one I'd consider a dream build.

There are several things I'd love to build as recreations, from various locations and periods, but the one recreation I'd like to build, and would be the second dream build, would be a set of Bombay style bedroom furniture. The whole 84 piece set. (Okay, maybe not quite that much.)

Third on the list would be a dome home.

I don't even know what it is I want to build but I know in my mind its something that anyone that looks at it including even myself will look at it and just say wow! and for me its pieces like this one below I don't wanna build this specifically but something in this kind of skill level.

vanity2009l.jpg

Unlimited time? A house and shop, furnishings. Unlimited budget? I'd use a CNC to do all the monotnous work while I do the fun stuff. And I'd make all the walls square and plumb. Unlimited skill set? I believe my skill set is not limited - it's just not full, that's all. Practice, practice, practice. Anything is possible to who he believes, right?

I would like to build everything.

Closer to possible would be to convert a huge old barn into a house with exposed posts and beams with an indoor/outdoor courtyard. It would have all of the rough sawn surfaces and a rugged wide plank floor. And to build all of the furniture in it out of nice clear, straight grained fir. Fir isn't the most beautiful wood to me but, it gives me a sense of being down to earth and practical, with an inner beauty that isn't noticed until you get really close.

I've always wanted to build a pool table.

Not even sure I would want the pool table when I'm done.

But for some reason I've always wanted to build one.

Chet, have you seen these videos on an arts and crafts style pool table yet?

http://eaglelakewoodworking.com/post/Pool-Table.aspx

I don't think that the project is completed but it was fun to watch how he has done it so far.

Chet, have you seen these videos on an arts and crafts style pool table yet?

http://eaglelakewoodworking.com/post/Pool-Table.aspx

I don't think that the project is completed but it was fun to watch how he has done it so far.

I hadn't seen that yet.

Thanks for posting the link. I appreciate. Now, I'm really jones-ing to build one.

Hey, I wonder if anyone's ever done a Greene & Greene Pool Table?

I actually have two. One is to finish our house. By the time I am done I will have made everything in it, furniture, cabinets, doors and so on. I have almost 2/3rds done, milled my own trim, pulled flooring out from an old house and replaned and jointed in and doweled it down which took around 3500 dowels.

After that it would have to be a bombe highboy. Now if I live to be 200 I may just get it done!!

Nate

just a grandfather clock.

when i was little i was terrified of my grandparents clock. at night i pictured it creeping down the hall after me with each thunderous chime. i remember it still every time i hear the chime..

when i build one i'll no longer be afraid.