Outdoor Table Advice

lewisc

As you guys in the US are heading into Winter, we've got a warm summer coming our way soon. That means it's time to get on with the outdoor table I've been putting off for a while.  It's a battle I'm not going to win. I have a few ideas, my wife has a few and it's looking like hers might come out on top, at least in regard to timber. 

I'm going to create a metal frame (see images for inspiration) with matching bench seats and thinking about the timber on top. She's suggested going for some rustic (sigh) timber. I'm not totally against it but I have a hard time knowing what to do with it.

Many of the outdoor tables I've seen have gaps in between the timber. I assume for water run off and expansion etc. Plenty of them are just done with a big solid piece. The place it will go is mostly out of the weather, it occasionally gets some sideways rain and a small amount of sun. I'll elongate any holes for screws to attach to allow for movement. What would be the best method to ensure I don't end up with a potato chip table top. Does having gaps matter?

$_86.jpg

i282319414681428858.jpg

540522.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Changing things up for this one. Going to go with a timber frame now. Going back to this photo, how would you attach the top peices to the aprons - long screws like my sketch? or maybe even pocket screws through some side to side aprons. I'd prefer to leave the top screw free.

i282319414681428858.jpg

944F0BE0-2EA3-4027-B471-BCE61FBA1570.jpeg

I doubt elongated would really be necessary but I’d definitely oversize the through holes in the rails and cross pieces to give you wiggle room to ensure the ends of the boards line up and the gaps between are consistent. Plus they’d give room for a bit of wood movement. 

I was planning 2 screws per board across all rails with an elongated hole. Not sure about the movement over such a small width though. I've added a few pieces in my design to show what I'm thinking.  The cleat idea will work much better for this. 

I've also drawn on my approximate placing for screws. The longer lines on the side might be for a pocket hole or maybe on those ones I'll have to drill through the side rail.

Table frame.jpg