Jointer/Planer Combo Unit

Coyote Jim

Due to tax purposes I find myself in a situation where I can buy a piece of equipment. I THINK what I want is a Jointer Planer in one.

My end goal is to someday have a detached wood shop where I will pretty much be hand tools only....except for a jointer and a planer. The vision I see is one where the shop is not small, but not exactly big either. So footprint matters, which is why I would like a combo unit.

My question for you guys is two fold.

Fold One: Does getting a combo machine line up with my vision or is there something better out there I don't even know about?

Fold Two: Assuming I am not completely out to lunch, if you had up to $5000 spend on a combo unit that would last you a couple/few decades, what tool maker would you choose?

So far I have done very little research. I was hoping to get some direction from you guys before I get swayed too much by a really good marketing campaign from Jet or Grizzle or Hammer or Northfield. (Just kidding about Northfield. I wish I had that kind of money.)

A couple of guys bought the 12" Jet and were happy with it, but they don't hang out here much anymore.  The Hammer models have a strong following, and it is probably where I'd start my search, then look at the other two.  I don't know of any other combo units.  Given the cost of the machine and complexity involved in the change over, these are machines I'd like to see in person, which might be more difficult to arrange than getting a look at a popular bandsaw.

Jim, I've been very happy with my Hammer A3-41. I got it with the spiral cutterhead. Felder is running a special on them right now. Swichover doesn't have to be a hassle. Here's a short video of the process that Kev shot while he was here last summer.

I don't know if you have any travel plans for the holidays but if if you're coming anywhere near Santa Fe give me a heads up. You're welcome to check it out. 

• Like 1

I have had my A3/31 for about 14 years it has the straight blades and has worked very well for me. The newer ones are even better, tables don't butterfly open and the spiral cutter head come to mind. FWIW I had to replace a $20 capacitor a couple years back other than that no issues.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Coyote Jim said:

@Mick S How much setup/fussing did you need to do with your machine to get it dialed in? I am admittedly not good at that kind of thing and I need to prepare myself mentally for it if I am able to pull the trigger on the machine.

Very little. I tweaked one of the castle bolts at the infeed side and spent about 5 minutes on the infeed locking mechanism. I've heard people say they had to mess with the fence to get it to return to 90 degrees but once mine was set it's never gotten out. I used a combination square to set the fence locking bar that attaches to the front parallel to the table. 

Some have said that the tables were a little rough. My jointer tables were smooth but the planer table was a little rough. I hit it with some maroon scotchbrite and wax and it's been fine. It's a good idea to keep all the tables waxed (Johnsons) really well.

• Thanks 1