Dewalt 735 Getting Tired

Hammer5573

I’ve recently noticed that my Dewalt tabletop planer has been shutting down frequently. I replaced the cutter head with a helical head and I’m aware that it takes more power to operate this type of cutter head; however, I was recently planing some 7” wide poplar making 1/32 to 1/64” cuts and it consistently shut down. I also noticed this happening with some 5” wide cherry. Is this a sign that more serious problems are on the horizon..?

18 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

How is the feed rate? does it seem slower than normal? I ask because if the rollers are dirty it will cause the wood to feed slower and make the machine work harder.

But does it? My Delta planer has 2 feed speeds and on the slower feed rate, the machine seems to be not working as hard as on the fast feed rate.

Just now, drzaius said:

But does it? My Delta planer has 2 feed speeds and on the slower feed rate, the machine seems to be not working as hard as on the fast feed rate.

I agree, my 735 doesn’t seem to work as hard on the slow feed but I did have an issue where my feed rollers were dirty and it seemed like the machine was working harder and tripped the breaker

Several good observations here.  How (or how many use-hours) old is the planer?  2 years or 10 years?  Slower speed provides more cuts per minute for the same length of material so less effort to feed.  Brushes have marks on the sides.  When the brush is worn to the mark closest to the spring it is time to replace.  Replace the current brush in the same orientation as it was when removed when checking and NOT replacing.

Test the receptacle with a volt meter. If your household supply voltage is low, the machine will draw more current as it attempts to do the required work. High current is what trips the overload breaker in the machine.

A receptacle that reads about 120v with no load does not necessarily indicate the circuit is ok, only that the incoming supply is within spec. A poor joint in the wiring can also drop the voltage upstream of the machine. The ideal test to isolate the problem to the machine itself would be to test the receptacle while the planer is plugged in and running. 120v in that test indicates the supply is not the issue.

If have, or can obtain one of those hand-held thermal cameras, use it to look for hot spots in the machine and wiring to it. That is a safe way to identify trouble areas in a running tool.

Something like this random example.

Thanks for all of the insights..! Some of these things never crossed my mind. In response to some of your questions:

1. I run the planer on the slow speed

2. The planer is more than 3 years old

3. I haven’t cleaned the rollers. What is the best way to clean them..?

4. I’m going to purchase new brushes (looks like I can get them for under $30).

5. My son is an electrician so l’ll be enlisting his assistance.
Thanks again for all of the comments..!

2 hours ago, Hammer5573 said:

I would like to thank everyone who offered suggestions regarding my planer problems!  I waxed the deck, cleaned the rollers, replaced the brushes and checked the electrical input. No problems with the electrical input found. I have to say, that it works as good now as the day that I purchased it. I was able to plane hickory this weekend without any problems (using common sense and took small bites each time). I can't say which upgrade helped the most, but it really doesn't matter as long as it works.

Thanks again....!

If your still using the DeWalt blades.  Give "Infinity Tools" a look, they have better replacement blades that can take multiple honings and will last a hell of a lot longer.

• Like 1