Setting up shop - Newbie needs advice

MJC

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

I don't suppose there is any chance of piercing the partion and coming straight out of tge saw to a more convenient location?

Yeah I could I was just trying to prevent from doing that but if I have to then it is what it is. I would rather have it work right then not cut through. I have not put anything on the other side of that partition so right now it’s just open space.

Be honest, you just bought it for the yellow and black didn't you? Those are pretty cool shop stools. Please let us know how it works.

I hate to break it to you, but you really don't need a crosscut sled if you have the Incra Miter Express. Read the Incra manuals and watch some videos on youtube. There are so many little things you can with it that you would have no idea without reading the manual. 

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

Be honest, you just bought it for the yellow and black didn't you? Those are pretty cool shop stools. Please let us know how it works.

I hate to break it to you, but you really don't need a crosscut sled if you have the Incra Miter Express. Read the Incra manuals and watch some videos on youtube. There are so many little things you can with it that you would have no idea without reading the manual. 

Yeah I know but I wanted to make one myself too because I like the idea of having a boxed in type style sled also. Never made one before so figured I would try.

• Like 1

Well that solves the dust-collection-to-the-tablesaw problem very nicely! I'm gonna have to rest from just thinking about putting all that stuff together.

I'm really curious about the Oneida unit also. It looks like it would be ideal for a CNC router.

No, no, you don't need a CNC router - yet.

Ok well electrician was a no show so I’m not able to use the saw or DC yet. I have date night with my bride tomorrow evening so hard to say when I will get to play with these things.

i did get the table saw all finished and started putting the cross cut sled together. 

I am going to sell my workbench with the dewalt saw in it. Just looking for some opinions on what others think might be a fair price to ask for it? The saw is a DWE 7480 and is about 8 weeks old. I bought it just to put in this workbench. The workbench measures 7 x 4 x 36.5 and it has 6 casters on the bottom. I’ve attached a few pictures of it. The miter saw is not included and it is setup so you can put the top pieces back in if the miter saw is not in there so you can use it as work space.

C4FD5FD9-FC6C-4530-BFBD-E6DA38961C8B.jpeg

C3FBC0F9-4309-413C-B513-C697D5918BE6.jpeg

68B38AE8-BB40-4B1F-B7DC-F9521D5CBE8B.jpeg

1CB14D87-F301-467D-ADBB-75F000C3A641.jpeg

Not sure what you can get for the bench since it is a one off custom piece, but I would think at least the material cost.  The TS will be easier to sell so I'd suggest trying to sell the the bench and TS as a package first.  

If there is a woodworking club in your area they may have a way to advertise to members.  

Any thoughts to just re-working the bench and putting it to use for a while?

29 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Not sure what you can get for the bench since it is a one off custom piece, but I would think at least the material cost.  The TS will be easier to sell so I'd suggest trying to sell the the bench and TS as a package first.  

If there is a woodworking club in your area they may have a way to advertise to members.  

Any thoughts to just re-working the bench and putting it to use for a while?

Good morning Mark, 

Selling it as a package is what I was hoping to do since it was built into it and that’s why I mentioned that. I will re-work it if I cannot sell it as a package but just thought I would get an opinion as to what I should ask price wise for it. I know what to ask for the saw but I’ve never sold a piece of woodwork and there isn’t anything special with this one. Do you think $500 would be an unfair price? 

Well the saw is only $300 so if I sell at 80% and throw the bench in for free I would say that’s a great deal for $240 since the casters alone make up about 25% of that. I think I would rather just sell the saw for $240 and set the workbench on fire if I’m going to lose that bad.

Not including time, how much do you have invested in the bench?  That might be the starting point (+/-) for a bench asking price.  If you want to do a package with the TS, then add $250.  But I agree, you can sell the TS on it's own any day of the week.  It's the bench that's looking for that special buyer.  That's why I was suggesting to advertise with a club.

Well I’m not that worried about losing some but I just don’t want to feel like I am getting robbed. I expect to have a loss and I’m ok with that.

Mark - you ask how much invested. I would say around $300.00 and most of that is in the 4 sheets of plywood. I believe it was $56 a sheet.