Jet 1020 bench top drum sander

duckkisser

I own a jet 1020 bench top drum sander and I don’t really use it much so was thinking of selling it but before I get rid of it I’m wondering if I’m missing out on maximizing the use of the machine. What do you guys use your drum sander for? I know some people rave about it but I’m thinking I would rather have my money and my floor space back.  

I have a 16-32 and i use mine to flatten panels that won't flit in the planer. I also use it for thin material and anything that needs a bit more accuracy as the adjustment is a bit more fine than the planer. I've also used it to make boxes perfectly flat after assembly.

I will admit it doesn't get used a ton but it's nice to have when i need it.

I’ve been considering buying the 10-20. Whenever I’ve been working on a project and wished I had one, I have been working on pieces 6” or narrower. My main concern was whether the quality and finish of the 10-20 is as good as the more popular bigger ones. 

I bought the Performax 10/20 years ago (well before Jet bought them out).

Like Chestnut, I don't use it very often, but it's one of those things that you'll figure out ways to use it. Works great for parallel surfaces that you can't or don't want to run through the planer. I also use it to do a good final sanding on things by putting a 220 belt in it.

I have mine on one side of a flip-top table, so it's out of the way when I'm not using it.

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I have a 16-32 and i use mine to flatten panels that won't flit in the planer. I also use it for thin material and anything that needs a bit more accuracy as the adjustment is a bit more fine than the planer. I've also used it to make boxes perfectly flat after assembly.

I will admit it doesn't get used a ton but it's nice to have when i need it.

I pretty much have the same uses as Chestnut but I use mine quite a bit, definitely enough that I would never be without one. FWIW mine is an old General Tools 24"

We all use different tools more or less than someone else.  I would not want to be without my drum sander although it eats a substantial footprint of real estate to do its job.  I would say that if you have not found it to be the answer to many issues with ongoing tasks, you would be happier to have the space back.  I have never needed a carcass saw but, someone else would be lost without theirs.

• Like 1