Coffee table with suspended drawer box

33 minutes ago, Coop said:

That is one beautiful table Mick! I like it all! The leather drawer pulls are cool. It’s all cool! I guess I’ve never seen mesquite veneer, much less shop made. Have I ever told you how much I like mesquite? Great job bud! 

Thanks Coop. I've never seen mesquite veneer commercially available. My whole purpose in buying the big SCM bandsaw last summer was to be able to cut and lay up my own veneers. And it is amazing. It lets me stretch my inventory way beyond what I could otherwise do.

• Like 2

(I guess this is a bump!)  Very nice work, Mick.  I have to tell myself "well, Mick teaches wood working", to not be too intimidated.

Your living room could pass either for a comfortable actual living room or a formal living room;  I'm curious how you use it (for example, do people put their feet up on the coffee table?)

Edited by Pondhockey
correct spelling

2 hours ago, Mick S said:

...Honestly, I teach woodworking because I'm good at teaching, not because I'm any great woodworker. Plus I enjoy it. Alison doesn't seem to appreciate my efforts at telling her how to do something as much as my students do, so it's an outlet for me.

Just to be clear you are a great woodworker too :)

Funny thing about wives they really don't appreciate when we tell them how to do something do they LOL

I just discovered this thread this morning. Don't know how I missed it. Really lovely, but what caught my attention most is the great design. As I'm late to this game in my life, I find the design part of it is the most challenging. Building someone else's plan introduced me to the techniques required, changing those plans to make the project my own came next, but my ultimate goal is to do what you did here. See some design elements and simply turn them into a project from your mind. Really inspiring to see. Thanks for posting this.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dave S said:

Building someone else's plan introduced me to the techniques required, changing those plans to make the project my own came next, but my ultimate goal is to do what you did here.

Thanks, Dave. I don't know if you're a subscriber to Fine Woodworking online, but this is a really good discussion about design. What you said is exactly how Mike Pekovich describes his approach to design. It's all been done before, but it's up to us to figure out what we like and make it our own.

Thanks for the tip Mick. I'll check it out. I'm expecting some patience will be needed on my part even if I have a more step-by-step idea of how it's done. In my previous career as an educator, mastery preceded creativity. Once I knew the material cold I was going to teach, then I could get very creative with how I taught it. Teaching design if you will. If design in woodworking is like that, I'll need some patience as I practice the skills. Nevertheless, a step-by-step process I suspect will jump start that whole thing. Thanks again for the reference to FW. They have a show on my public television station that I watch religiously.

I really like the rich look of Mesquite and it really fits the pieces you have done with it.  I which I had access to it.

Did cut all the leather or did some one do that for you?

On 6/15/2020 at 5:27 AM, Mick S said:

Alison doesn't seem to appreciate my efforts at telling her how to do something

On 6/15/2020 at 7:53 AM, pkinneb said:

Funny thing about wives they really don't appreciate when we tell them how to do something do they LOL

I just assumed I was always giving my wife bad advise and she was ignoring me because of that.  Now I see it is a common situation and I will quit thinking I am the problem. :P

• Haha 1