Coffee table with suspended drawer box

2 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Slick design, Mick. Your raving about the Pantorouter makes me want one. Watching Mr. Wandel use it on YT always seemed gimmicky, but I trust your opinion.

I got a DFM dowel plate on Amazon before I started this project after hearing Mike Pekovich rave about it. It is a nice dowel plate for the $, but it's no match for ebony. The stuff is just too brittle and even after spokeshaving the blank down as far as I could, they just would not go through without veering off to one side leaving a flat spot.

PantoRouter has a template set for making dowels so I thought I'd try it. Wow. I cut the ebony down to ⅜" by ⅜" by 12" and tried it. They were perfect - .250" end to end over the 2 ¼" length I needed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Beautiful piece Mick!  I do have a couple questions for you. On your resaw fence how do you keep it in place?  Also what did you use for the table top core? Thanks!

Thanks Paul. The fence straddles the fence on the saw and has 2 toggle clamps on the backside that lock it into place. The tall fence is removable to switch out to shorter fences. 

I used ¾" BB for the core (.704") so the whole thing overall wound up at .945" after sanding the veneers on each side.

46 minutes ago, Mick S said:

Thanks Paul. The fence straddles the fence on the saw and has 2 toggle clamps on the backside that lock it into place. The tall fence is removable to switch out to shorter fences. 

I used ¾" BB for the core (.704") so the whole thing overall wound up at .945" after sanding the veneers on each side.

Nice! If you wouldn't mind snap a pic of the toggle side of the fence some time and post it. Mine is a pain to install with regular clamps and I've been looking for a better solution.

50 minutes ago, Chet said:

As always Mick some great work.

Your re-saw fence looks like a take off of the auxiliary fence Bob Van Dyke designed for the table saw.

That was my idea. I built his fence years ago and use it all the time. 

• Like 1

That is one beautiful table Mick! I like it all! The leather drawer pulls are cool. It’s all cool! I guess I’ve never seen mesquite veneer, much less shop made. Have I ever told you how much I like mesquite? Great job bud! 

• Haha 1