Ideas to fix marring

Larry Moore

I need some help on how to remove these marks from bubble wrap. 

The biggest problem I have is the tables are in AZ and I'm in MI and can't even touch them. 

The finish is a wb poly that had set for two days before I wrapped them in bubble wrap and shipped them to my client.

The fix has to be something an armature can do. Or I'm going to have to see if I can find someone in their area I can have do the fix.

IMG_5301.jpeg

IMG_5303.jpeg

It takes nothing for polycrylic to flake or bubble. Just a little heat will cause it to lift.  Polycrylic should only be used in places where there is no continued use. Aka: a display shelf. I have no idea why it was invented, but for any kind of furniture it's totally useless. A light sanding with a very high grit, and then a reapplication will fix the problem, but it's a table. I assume the table will get some use, if it does, the problem will arise again and again. Polyacrylic doesn't adhere to the wood, it lays on top of the wood, and that makes it subject to easy movement causing the problem.  My inclination would be to take it back to bare wood and apply a wipe on poly like ARS or minwax waterborne poly.

8 minutes ago, RichardA said:

My inclination would be to take it back to bare wood and apply a wipe on poly like ARS or minwax waterborne poly.

Did you mean Minwax wipe on poly? Isn't Polycrilic is Minwax's water born polyurethane? I don't use their products much only wipe on poly.

3 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Probably not as surprising as you would think given they are having an unusually hot summer even for AZ. Think 90's for over night lows and 112 ish during the days 

I figured the higher heat would cause the cure to go faster and that 2 days would be enough. Guess a longer cure was in order before shipping. Unless your implying that the heat melted the finish?

54 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I figured the higher heat would cause the cure to go faster and that 2 days would be enough. Guess a longer cure was in order before shipping. Unless your implying that the heat melted the finish?

I've seen that heat melt the rubber of a shoe sole so it would not surprise me if it affected a finish on a product wrapped in bubble wrap...having said that no idea whether that's possible :)  I do agree with @drzaius that most finishes take a month or better to fully harden.

Taking it back to bare wood is not on the program right now, I'm in MI and the tables are in AZ.

I have done some research after posting the first post and this is a common problem with bubble wrap.

I have shipped several tables and jewelry boxes in it before but this is the first time using this make of wrap

Two of the sights one a guitar sight and one a piano sight they used Maguire's car polish and it took them out without ruining the finish.

I think I might have them try that 

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Isn't Polycrilic is Minwax's water born polyurethane? 

Polycrylic, is a different product than Minwax's wipe on poly or their regular brush on type. For some reason, it will not bond to the wood, like any normal poly will. I've used it twice, and still have 7/8ths of a can, and can't find a reason to use it again, except on something that doesn't get used regularly. It peals, it bubles up if it gets to warm, then later peals off in flakes. I've never had that problem with any regular poly, including ARS.

Just now, Larry Moore said:

Here's the fix I used

I wrapped the sample boards in bubble wrap and the a heating pad.

It duplicated the problem, I tried Maguire's car polish but it did nothing to remove the marks, I then tried Turtle wax scratch repair and renew which took all the marks out. I sent a bottle to the client and thankfully they were able to fix the tables. 

Nice!! Glad it worked out.

• Like 1

Larry,  This is a great ending to what could have been a heartbreaking situation.  I was ready to suggest a refinishing shop in the area if one exists.  Glad the fine abrasives did the job.  I have used Nova plastic polish products to rub out problems with good success.  I have not had the problem with Polycrylic that Richard reports.  I do only use it when I want a clear, clear finish and it has only been used on wall cabinets and occasional tables, nothing that sees real wear.