Dust Extractor Recommendation

namluke

Can anyone recommend a good dust collector?

Im eyeing up the below two but i cant decide.

Im edging towards the Axminster one as it can hold more.

AXMINSTER TRADE AT639E 5HP EXTRACTOR 

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-industrial-series-ub-805ckh-extractor-102237

OR

Laguna P Flux 3 HEPA Cyclone Dust Extractor with Fine Filter

https://www.machinery4wood.co.uk/product.php/site/froogle/sn/LG%2FPFLUX3/google/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuL_8BRCXARIsAGiC51DOI-mCpV9VBkC_qfbT3mnTIQtohUa9HD4LkRpIUMMJ-yD9gn6LNT8aAk0GEALw_wcB

Im based in the UK so my options seem alot more limited, can anyone recommend any other brands i can consider?

Many Thanks

Luke

I think the laguna is going to be a better option compared to the axminster one. I'm not sure what your key criteria is for dust extraction ( aka dust collection if i forget to translate to UK speak :D ). The Axminster setup will offer good collection and at 5 hp is going to have large power requirements. For a 1 man shop 5hp is hugly overkill. Collecting from 1-2 tools at a time will allow for a smaller collector and to utilize the energy of that collector better. It's downfall is that there is no separation prior to the impeller and filter units. This is going to cause the filters to clog much much faster and could create issues with debris striking the impeller unit. Having 3 bags to change and 3 filters to maintain is also a considerable maintenance investment. I clean my filter 1-2 times a year. For 3 filters with no per-seperator I'd still expect to clean on that frequency.

The laguna unit is not with out it's flaws but just having separation prior to the impeller can alleviate a lot of issues. Even though it's 3hp that separation can provide a good amount of airflow for equally as long as the 3 filter unit. The BIG benefit here is well that the unit isn't big. A 2nd side benefit is that the dust bin is easier to empty and there will be less filter maintenance. The laguna units downfall is that they don't have a super efficient separator. The separator lets a lot of fines through when you'd compare it to a taller cyclone. Not knowing what is available in the UK I can't make much of a recommendation other than see if there is someone that is importing the Clearvue systems. If you don't have the height for a clearvue collector, i personally feel the laguna unit is going to offer better performance long term.

@namluke, I have the P-Flux 3HP and generally agree with Chestnut's comments about that system.  I can't compare it to anything as I've never used anything else.  If you want more info, searches of this site for "p-flux" and "pflux" will turn up some previous discussions.  If you have specific questions about the P_Flux, I can give you my opinions/observations, at least on the US version.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I think the laguna is going to be a better option compared to the axminster one. I'm not sure what your key criteria is for dust extraction ( aka dust collection if i forget to translate to UK speak :D ). The Axminster setup will offer good collection and at 5 hp is going to have large power requirements. For a 1 man shop 5hp is hugly overkill. Collecting from 1-2 tools at a time will allow for a smaller collector and to utilize the energy of that collector better. It's downfall is that there is no separation prior to the impeller and filter units. This is going to cause the filters to clog much much faster and could create issues with debris striking the impeller unit. Having 3 bags to change and 3 filters to maintain is also a considerable maintenance investment. I clean my filter 1-2 times a year. For 3 filters with no per-seperator I'd still expect to clean on that frequency.

The laguna unit is not with out it's flaws but just having separation prior to the impeller can alleviate a lot of issues. Even though it's 3hp that separation can provide a good amount of airflow for equally as long as the 3 filter unit. The BIG benefit here is well that the unit isn't big. A 2nd side benefit is that the dust bin is easier to empty and there will be less filter maintenance. The laguna units downfall is that they don't have a super efficient separator. The separator lets a lot of fines through when you'd compare it to a taller cyclone. Not knowing what is available in the UK I can't make much of a recommendation other than see if there is someone that is importing the Clearvue systems. If you don't have the height for a clearvue collector, i personally feel the laguna unit is going to offer better performance long term.

Thank you for this information, very helpful.... the only other unit similar that i can find is 

AXMINSTER TRADE AT357CEH 3HP CYCLONE EXTRACTOR

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-trade-at357ceh-3hp-cyclone-extractor-105784

But looking at the two i think i prefer the look of the Laguna.

I'm looking to get a 400mm thickness and possibly a large wide belt sander in the near future, do you think it could handle larger machines?

Once again

Thank you

1 hour ago, namluke said:

I'm looking to get a 400mm thickness and possibly a large wide belt sander in the near future, do you think it could handle larger machines?

All 3 that you have linked will be great for large machines. I thnk you'd have to get into comercial sized CNC before they wouldn't keep up. Their bigger downfall is the smaller machines. Beings that the vaccuum they draw isn't very strong using you will have more dificulties with the shop vac sized hoses.

I am totally in agreement with @Chestnut with one caveat and without knowing your shop layout: if your duct runs are going to be long and/or convoluted by necessity and/or "prioritization" (that's what I say when I lazily get something done in an obviously suboptimal fashion) a bigger blower could make up some of the difference. Chestnut also makes a good point about the smaller diameter hoses...for high velocity low volume suction you're still better off using a vac in those situations in all likelihood. That said the Axminster 5hp model you linked is more of a permanent installation kind of machine while the others could be rolled around as needed. Unless you have a large work area and like Chestnut said are running multiple machines simultaneously I think the 3hp jobs would be great. 

Luke, would you mind sharing more of your shop layout and equipment? Your mention of a larger thicknesser and wide belt sander lead me to believe you are at or near the commercial shop size. If that is the case, you may need to consider stepping up to a commercial dust removal system, that lives outside.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Luke, would you mind sharing more of your shop layout and equipment? Your mention of a larger thicknesser and wide belt sander lead me to believe you are at or near the commercial shop size. If that is the case, you may need to consider stepping up to a commercial dust removal system, that lives outside.

Hello,

My shop is around 1000ft sq and 8 meters in height, possibly soon to be 4 meters and im thinking of adding a second floor. I cant have anything outside as i'm based inside a large hanger type building, if that makes sense.

I have 3 shop vacs for my smaller tool i,e router table mitre saw etc.

The tools i need the extractor for are my

AXMINSTER TRADE AT310SPT SPIRAL PLANER THICKNESSER

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-trade-series-at129pt-planer-thicknesser-spiral-cutters-230v-101157

itech 6x110 oscillating edge & bobbin sander 1ph

https://www.scosarg.com/itech-6x110-oscillating-edge-bobbin-sander-1ph?geoip_country=GB&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKCAjwoc_8BRAcEiwAzJevtboV8nlZSwzk05E32ZGQ4vQglmjWFaVagFEF2-Sp_KwpoQtb8MrdHxoCbscQAvD_BwE

JET JWDS 1632 DRUM SANDER - This im looking to upgrade to a wide belt sander.

https://www.axminstertools.com/jet-jwds-1632-drum-sander-103731

Laguna 18-bx-bandsaw - (This has been a nightmare btw)

https://www.lagunatools.uk/laguna-products/bandsaws/18-bx-bandsaw

These are to machines im looking to add

ITECH TH 410S THICKNESSER WITH SPIRAL CUTTER BLOCK

https://www.scosarg.com/itech-th-410s-thicknesser-with-spiral-cutter-block

AXMINSTER TRADE AT940DDS DUAL DRUM SANDER - OR A WIDE BELT SANDER

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-industrial-series-r3409-dual-drum-sander-501277

and at some point a 5ft x 10ft cnc but that could be a while off yet.

I hope all that makes sense.

You do have some machines that are larger and produce more dust than most average hobby woodworkers do, but if you are working alone, one operation at a time, I see nothing to overwhelm the systems that were mentioned previously. 

My personal choice in this situation would lean toward the Pflux. I have no experience with Laguna, but the sound-dampening and HEPA filtration rank high on my list of important features, when external exhaust isn't possible.

4 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

You do have some machines that are larger and produce more dust than most average hobby woodworkers do, but if you are working alone, one operation at a time, I see nothing to overwhelm the systems that were mentioned previously. 

My personal choice in this situation would lean toward the Pflux. I have no experience with Laguna, but the sound-dampening and HEPA filtration rank high on my list of important features, when external exhaust isn't possible.

I'm definitely edging towards Laguna .... purely because it looks awesome!

Like some from the set of Alien!

Thanks for all your advice everyone!