Yard Sprinkler System

pkinneb

I've got a few that aren't running with the controller... 

You mist be lucky , here I  Odessa they changed the water from a local reservoir to  kansas city. In return this cost us for the installation and maintenance. Waste is a 1/3rd higher than water. I called the city and asked if I payed to have the sprinkler on its own water would they eliminate the sewage cost. They said no... only banks and profitable businesses run there sprinklers here anymore..

It's typical around here for cities to take the average of the winter months water usage and extend that throughout the summer months to account for watering. It may be worth reaching out to your city council to see if they'd be willing to amend or modify their ordinance to something reasonable. Paying for sewer units that you aren't using isn't a fair practice.

There may be local considerations for this. I'm going to make a note to ask the attorney's we work with if there are laws that govern this.

• Like 1

I'm reading every sprinkler thread I can find.  I've never had any experience with one before, but will hopefully be putting in a big 'un this Summer.  So far, the only part I have is a used Grundfos 7-1/2 hp single phase submersible pump.  I'm going to use it in the lake.  It has a 2-1/2" adapter on the top for the pipe out.  Water is free, but it draws 43 amps.  The original owner had it 356 feet down in a well.  It should move a Lot more water with no head.  Will need some kind of cage system to keep it from sucking up fish.

That pump sounds like overkill... I like it.

I installed the Toro Evolution irrigation controller and really like it. Look into it and see if it might fir your application. It programs really easily and has other features that could be nice like wifi control.

I bought it from a family friend, who has a well, and water system business.  It was pumping for a subdivision that got attached to a municipal system.  He said it pumped something over 50 gallons a minute from 356 feet down.  It doesn't look like it's hurt.  

I have two acres to cover.  Still have to get screened, and spread topsoil, so haven't even trenched yet for the sprinklers.  I'll be doing good to get it ready this Summer.

Seriously thinking about getting the golf course sprinklers, and run the wires.  To start with, I'll manually run everything.  The computer control setup costs more than everything else together.  I may end up with the sports field sprinklers though.  Not sure I'll have enough water for the golf course ones-still some ciphering to do.

Will take 27,000 gallons to put a 1/2" on it.