Memento Display Shelf

wtnhighlander

Planing away the material needed to match the inner radius is going to take a loooooong time. I had just a few minutes today, so I tested a hand tool technique for making curves witb saw and chisel.

20210924_190714.thumb.jpg.9de6105efb50d341fe689dd209cd6fba.jpg

I made several kerfs to define the depth necessary to remove. Blue tape is a visual guide.

20210924_191045.thumb.jpg.8bf54b5fb0472a8bd70023525066b4be.jpg

The kerfs help control splitting and run out as I chisel away the waste between them.

20210924_192226.thumb.jpg.8ce78ee232478b3a3f738386c49ab799.jpg

Finally, a plane & spokeshave bring the rough cut pretty close to final shape. This is marginally faster, but far less laborious, than removing it all with a plane.

Tomorrow, I'll try another idea...

• Like 2

Maybe a negative space in the center down the length of both.

But what would have been real cool is if they weren't there at all, the shelf just floated from the leg connection.

On 9/28/2021 at 4:54 PM, wtnhighlander said:

For any neophites reading this, I want to show that fine, expensive tools, while very nice to have, are not strictly necessary. A $15 flush trim saw cuts joinery quite well.

I had that exact saw until I bent the blade and replaced it with a saw from a brand that would be more excepted on woodworking sights.  Its been a good saw but I actually think the Irwin saw was a nicer tool, definitely liked the handle more.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chet said:

But what would have been real cool is if they weren't there at all, the shelf just floated from the leg connection.

My earlier plan had been to make cantilevered from the legs, but then I decided to make it removable. Now it hangs from 3 vertical bars that attach to the 'aprons' under the top. You just can't see the 3rd one in that photo.