Memento Display Shelf

wtnhighlander

I will defiantly be following the build, it looks to be quite interesting. But those ellipse instructions has really simplified this for me, my mother had a picture taken of my daughter when she was small maybe 3yrs old, 36 yrs ago the oval picture was printed on stretched canvas my mother wanted me to make a frame for this picture. The  frame project was quite challenging for me, I had seen the nails and string trick but finding the exact points I needed was a mystery to me I ended up using the picture of my daughter to find the out side dia. of the of the elliptical frame by scribing a line with a compass around the picture  than to find inside of the frames I couldn't use the picture anymore so I measured points off the scribed O.D. all the way around and, than used a set of French Curves to refine the shape of the frames I.D. Those ellipse instructions would have made my life so much easier and, I will save those instructions as they are the simplest explanation of the string trick I have ever seen thanks for sharing and good luck on the shelves.

• Thanks 1

This is one project you won’t find me trying to replicate, and not because I don’t think it’s cool! And you won’t find me challenging you on the spelling, much less the definition of some of those words! :D

This will be interesting to follow! 

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2021 at 9:48 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Question for the more experienced: do you find it necessary or advantageous to seal the edges of a plywood template?  I recall Steve Duncan (wdwerker) mentioning that he liked to harden the edges of MDF templates with epoxy or CA glue, but I shouldn't need that with plywood, right?  I will eventually be running a flush-trim router bit against this.

You shouldn't need it with plywood. With MDF the fibers smash where they run along the bearing and after a while it becomes a tiny bit smaller. 

This is going to be a great project. Excited to see it through. I like the complexity of the sides, it really draws your attention. Great start with the template. 

On 5/25/2021 at 10:48 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Question for the more experienced: do you find it necessary or advantageous to seal the edges of a plywood template?  I recall Steve Duncan (wdwerker) mentioning that he liked to harden the edges of MDF templates with epoxy or CA glue, but I shouldn't need that with plywood, right?  I will eventually be running a flush-trim router bit against this.

Steve used his templates for a LOT of operations so hardening the edges for him was more of a production thing. That said plywood does work a bit differently and using the template 15-20 times you shouldn't see any issues. I used plywood for my dining room chairs and they saw a good 10-12 operations and didn't have any effects.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

But, boy! It sure makes a mess. I think my fence is ever so slightly tighter at the rear of the blade, because there was almost no dust escaping at the front of the cut, but as soon as the material passed the rear of the blade, I was hit with a steady stream of chips.

I"m having that happen as well right now i swear my fence got knocked out of alignment. I really should just do a whole tune up check on my saw to make sure it's still alignmed to the miter slot as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bmac said:

Very nice, so you will have seven of those curved arch pieces in the display, correct? 

Yes, seven. Four form the back, then 3 for ends and center.

11 hours ago, Mark J said:

I have to admit your logic on the horizontal pieces.  Will the structural top & bottom shelves be quartersawn to sorta match the horizontal pieces for wood movement?

Not quarter-sawn, but oriented so expansion is the same. Like a waterfall miter joint.

9 hours ago, bradpotts said:

Thanks for the update on the router. I have wondered if they would have enough power for something like that.  

That little router has plenty of power, and the battery lasts a good while. Its just much easier to run the part against a table than balance that small router base on the part.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...