Memento Display Shelf

wtnhighlander

9 hours ago, treeslayer said:

how do you plan to cut the dadoes ?

For time's sake, a router and guide fence. Started settung everything up this evening, but its been a long week. I'm foggy enough that I drew blood just putting a bit in the router, and decided tomorrow would be a better day.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 7:52 PM, wtnhighlander said:

For time's sake, a router and guide fence. Started settung everything up this evening, but its been a long week. I'm foggy enough that I drew blood just putting a bit in the router, and decided tomorrow would be a better day.

When a bit bites, it's time for Beer.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I do not envy that finishing schedule you have ahead of you, but the customer wants what the customer wants. When asked to match the existing furniture in the room you can almost always guarantee a headache. Sometimes it's almost better to not try and match and do a complimentary color/stain/finish, as a poor match may standout more than the complimentary color/stain/finish. But again the customer wants what the customer wants. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bmac said:

I do not envy that finishing schedule you have ahead of you, but the customer wants what the customer wants. When asked to match the existing furniture in the room you can almost always guarantee a headache. Sometimes it's almost better to not try and match and do a complimentary color/stain/finish, as a poor match may standout more than the complimentary color/stain/finish. But again the customer wants what the customer wants. 

I only make stuff for friends and family. I usually tell them if you want it colored/stained/etc. your going to pay over walnut price, or i can just make it out of walnut. If you want it cheaper no coloring and I'll use maple or cherry or other domestic hardwood. It's a good way to explain how much of a PITA color matching is.

• Haha 1

Ross, wouldn’t it be better for the customer to take a picture of their furniture to the paint/stain supply store and let them match it for your customer. That will take the trips and liability off of you. Perhaps supply the customer some scraps of the same wood to take with them. 

On 7/6/2021 at 6:38 PM, Coop said:

Ross, wouldn’t it be better for the customer to take a picture of their furniture to the paint/stain supply store and let them match it for your customer. That will take the trips and liability off of you. Perhaps supply the customer some scraps of the same wood to take with them. 

This sound like a good plan.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

We actually discussed this, but I am unaware of any supply house in the area that custom blends wood stains.

Sherwin Williams in my area will custom blend stain, I give them a scrap to test on and a sample of what I want it to be and they mix it up with great results, looking great Ross

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2021 at 9:17 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Well of course, after a 'site visit' today, my latest sample has been deemed 'too blue'. When I take photos of the existing furniture, and compare to photos of the samples I made, guess which matches most closely? 

The very first one, naturally. :blink:

I feel for you and am sorry to hear that. People want custom stuff but are often not willing to pay for the headaches they cause by being demanding with custom stuff. I hope you are getting adequately compensated.

In my profession I deal with colors all the time. People just don't understand all that goes into a color match, and with teeth it's even more complex. You've got value, chroma and hue that all play a role in color matching. Most dentists, when confronted with fixing a discolored tooth in the front of the mouth have taken to treating the front 6 rather than just the one, that way they have control over the color. I view this as practically malpractice, but who can blame them with a picky patient. I have become more and more reluctant doing "cosmetic work"  and if I am confronted with fixing a discolored front tooth I set low expectations, charge more and send them to the lab for custom staining. I will not accept anything less in doing those cases.

People just don't know what they don't know about color, and a lot of other things for that matter.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Well of course, after a 'site visit' today, my latest sample has been deemed 'too blue'.

From your recipe you were using all WB poly. A coat of shellac or even oil borne poly might reduce the blue some? Do you still have your sample to give it a try?

12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Well of course, after a 'site visit' today, my latest sample has been deemed 'too blue'.

Hey I've been working diligently for many years applying a very expensive stain of coffee and tea to my teeth and your telling me you can't match it in minutes? The outrage!

• Haha 1

Perfect example to illustrate @Bmac's point.

20210706_163139-01.thumb.jpeg.62ef51981e82a229ce532be2c247b321.jpeg

Upper-right is client's furniture, bottom is the 'too blue' sample. Shot together under the room light (incandescent or warm white LED) at client's house. The middle-left image is an overlay, a new sample with just one coat of stain, but shot under my shop lighting (4000k LED).

In this view, the client's piece doesn't look gray at all, but in person, it most definitely is. "Bluff Gray" is listed in the catalog description.

I think I'll try mixing the gray with something like 'Ipswitch pine', and see how that turns out. If that is no good, I'll hit up the nearest Sherwin Williams 

20210706_163139-01.jpeg

Finally got back to this. Made more color samples, and while they were drying, made my mind up to just add some dowels in a few spots to help locate parts and add strength to some otherwise shallow joints. I used a locating method I saw on YT recently...

20210710_165331.thumb.jpg.c1bfe60b275099843151bc93f5accc05.jpg

I drilled shallow pilot holes to fit a finishing nail. Tap the nail in, snip it off about 1/8" above the surface, using sturdy wire cutters. Repeat as needed. Align the mating piece and press together to transfer the hole locations. Pull out the nails with the cutters, then drill to fit the desired dowel.

Frugal man's dowel center.

Aside from that, not much of interest to show. Sanding, tweaking joints, staining samples...

• Like 2