Memento Display Shelf

wtnhighlander

11 hours ago, Belle City WW said:

Very nicely done sir!

Just wait until it is actually finished! :lol:

Assorted illnesses (mine and other family members), a week of extreme heat & humidity, followed by an extended period of much longer than usual hours at my 'day job', have prevented me from darkening the door of my shop for almost a month.

• Sad 1

After almost a full month, I finally got back in the shop today. Proof:

20210806_141255.thumb.jpg.3e5098a70d3a814b450d369ecadaa2e6.jpg

Final sanding before finish. Like many, I scribble a pencil on the surface and sand until the lines are gone. Unlike many, I use carpenter pencils, almost exclusively. They are easy to hold, don't roll away, the lead makes a bold line, yet can be shaped to a fine point, and rarely breaks inside the wood when dropped. The thickess and width are convenient dimensions to gauge things with, and being flat, they are easy to clamp to a stick for use as a beam compass. Their width is great for gripping if you need to scribe along an irregular surface. All in all, I find them much more practical to keep in the shop, since all my joinery marking is done with a knife, anyway.

Anyone have a marking instrument they prefer?

Next step in the project is the ebony stain 'under layer'. Tune in tomorrow to see how THAT turns out!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

have a marking instrument they prefer?

Glad to hear you’re back in the shop Ross, I used to use mechanical pencils of different sizes but I switched to the Pica pencils from Woodcraft, I have one for regular lead and one with the white lead for dark wood, I really like them, built in sharpener, narrow barrel for getting into tight spaces is nice

• Like 2

On 8/6/2021 at 6:09 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Anyone have a marking instrument they prefer?

I use the same drafting lead holder I had in high school some fifty years ago.  Also has a bold line but you can get it extremely sharp, I have the injuries to prove it.

5611.jpg.cb31848196638cdff66be4e01f7d1e12.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chet said:

The stuff that bugs us and no one else sees. :blink:

Tell me about it. The shift is absolutely unnoticable from the front, and the back is planned to go against a wall. But it bugged the crap out of me, so I fixed it. 

No shop today, the heat index was 107f, no way the tiny window A/C would ever catch up before bedtime...

Nice save, this has been a great project to follow. My scraps usually hang around until the project is done, and then the following 3 or 4 projects. Then I usually start drowning in scraps before i get frustrated and start a fire.... :D. So at my pace they last a couple days.... :P.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Coop said:

Ross, you said the stain was way too heavy as in color or application (too thick and didn’t dry, blotchy, etc.)? 

Yeah, I think in the month that passed between making the sample and coloring the piece, I forgot a step. I thought I recalled painting the stain blend on with a foam brush, so that's what I did, and the piece was very blue-ish / purple-ish when it dried. Subsequent experiments indicate I must have used a very light wipe-on application instead. That method looks very much like the sample.