Melamine for miter saw station

You might look into using hardwood veneer ply like oak or maple from you big box store.  It is mostly the construction grade material that seems to be seeing the high prices.  In my local Lowes 3/4 Maple was $58 a sheet and 3/8 OSB was $38.   You wouldn't  want to us OSB for you top but the pricing in my location tells me you might want to look  at hardwood ply.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chet said:

You might look into using hardwood veneer ply like oak or maple from you big box store.  It is mostly the construction grade material that seems to be seeing the high prices.  In my local Lowes 3/4 Maple was $58 a sheet and 3/8 OSB was $38.   You wouldn't  want to us OSB for you top but the pricing in my location tells me you might want to look  at hardwood ply.

Yeah maple ply from my local lowes is 88.93 so I'd rather not use that. I used to pay 47 for a sheet of maple 3/4 from the local hardwood dealer. Not anymore. Melamine on the other hand is 32 for 3/4. Thats why I'm considering it

Melamine can work pretty well if you design it right, but you need to know that there are multiple types and grades. The stuff in the big box stores is the low grade and will have trouble holding fasteners - it crumbles. The better cabinet grade stuff has a denser core and is more structurally strong. All of the cabinets in my shop are made from it and they are strong.

You can get it from lumber yards that sell to the cabinet makers. Plywood is better and cheaper there too. Take a look at Confirmat fasteners too. They work great Melanine and MDF panels.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 9:22 PM, Valleyslim said:

Im actually talking about the cabinets, not the tops. Tops I'm using mdf which is almost 50 a sheet here not to mention hard to find atm. My lowes had 0 mdf last week. I'm in Idaho and wood is extremely expensive here

Using melamine doesnt bother me.