FWW / Epic Woodworking Shaker Chest of Drawers

mdbuilder

Basically a wear strip. Solution to an observation that 100 year old antiques come in for repair when the bottom edges of the drawers have been worn into a concave shape from being opened and closed thousands of times. So the author / plan calls for a 5/16" lamination of hard maple added to the secondary wood  drawer bottom sides for wear resistance. Similarly the drawer runners are hard maple and replaceable. 

• Like 2

Almost screwed up a bit this morning. The drawers need a 3/16" * 1/4" groove around the bottom for the bottoms. I bought one of those wobble dado blades by Oldham because it does 3/16" at the lowest setting, my normal Freud set is maybe a 1/4".

Anyway, spent a fair bit of time this morning fiddling with it and figuring out how to get it setup. It is pretty tight on the arbor as some blades are the first time you use them and once you tighten it down and discover the width is off it requires some firm jiggling to get it off the arbor a bit to change the setting. Then test cuts to get it to the right depth etc. Marked all the sides as to which way was out, about to make the first cut - DUH, don't have the fronts yet, maybe I should wait :P

• Like 2

On 8/6/2021 at 7:43 AM, mdbuilder said:

DUH, don't have the fronts yet, maybe I should wait :P

I don't know what brought this to mind for you, but I find that if that if before initiating the operation at hand

I let my mind run through the outcome I expect and the steps that are going to follow, the "conversation" often runs something like this: "OK, I'm gonna do... then I'm gonna... then I'm gonna... Oh wait!  That's not gonna...

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 10:47 AM, Mark J said:

I let my mind run through the outcome I expect and the steps that are going to follow, the "conversation" often runs something like this: "OK, I'm gonna do... then I'm gonna... then I'm gonna... Oh wait!  That's not gonna...

This technique would benefit a lot of people. In woodworking and otherwise…

• Like 1

Drawer fronts look good. Personal choice but I'd have put your bottom face in the 2nd row. I like crazy grain cherry though and try and highlight it. The chest of drawers is coming along nicely.

23 hours ago, JohnG said:

This technique would benefit a lot of people. In woodworking and otherwise…

A lot of people would just benefit from turning on their brain in general...

On 8/8/2021 at 8:12 AM, Chestnut said:

Drawer fronts look good. Personal choice but I'd have but your bottom face in the 2nd row. I like crazy grain cherry though and try and highlight it. The chest of drawers is coming along nicely.

A lot of people would just benefit from turning on their brain in general...

Ahh, huh? Did spell check change put to but? Are you suggesting you would have moved the bottom drawer face to the second row? 

I kinda put it at the bottom because it was the most different and thought it would breakup the continuity of the first 4 rows which are more similar. 37" wide drawers are tough, you basically need a 20 foot board to get them all from 1 plank. 

• Haha 1

Taking stock of remaining fabrication tasks this morning. I've re-sawed some 3/16" * 1" & 9/16" strips for drawer stops from 3/4" stock and drum sanded to thickness, need to get a bit of leather from the local craft store to face the stops with. I emptied my overflowing 35 gallon dust collector drum in preparation for drawer bottom milling. These are only 5/16" thick so I will try some re-sawing on that stock as I get it milled up. And of course, dovetailing the last three drawers. Knobs are on the way and the can of Waterlox has shipped with all the other finishing materials in house already.  

If I get the drawers mostly dovetailed this week I can probably finish up the stops and bottoms over the weekend, drawer fitting and sanding next week... 

• Like 1

Got all the tails on the sides of drawer #4 sawn. Probably chop in the morning and do 1 set of sockets on the front. Second set of sockets and rear through pins tomorrow night. For now, sleep :D . These full width drawers are a bit of a problem to mark out as the fronts and backs are 4.5" taller than my bench surface...

• Like 1