FWW / Epic Woodworking Shaker Chest of Drawers

mdbuilder

LoL :)

The shop is appr. 600 square feet in the basement, 9 foot to the bottom of the joists. Admittedly 3 RAS's is excessive, by 1 I'd say. Can't go wrong with 2 as then you can set one up for dado's leaving the other for the odd cross cut.

Anyway, the dark blue one is my main machine. The little mbf was the first one I got, lovely machine but underpowered at only a 1/2 hp. It sits in the corner, doesn't take up much space and only rarely used.

The light blue one came after the other two, the motor had failed on the mbf so it was going to be a replacement until someone mailed me a replacement motor for cheap. All the things were dirt cheap, $125 or less per saw...

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2021 at 6:10 AM, mdbuilder said:

works great but the 80 grit paper leaves some prominent sanding grooves.

I think the grits on a drum sander are courser then the the equivalent number of your ROS discs.  I use 120 on my drum sander then start with 80 on my ROS and work through the grits.  

I also find removing drum sander sanding lines a lot faster with a hand plane or card scraper as well. It's interesting that you find Poplar for inexpensive. I've not been able to find an inexpensive source for it. I can usually get soft maple or #1com cherry for cheaper. Probably a regional thing as soft maple and cherry are readily available here, while poplar doesn't grow well up here wild.

On 7/19/2021 at 12:02 PM, Chestnut said:

I also find removing drum sander sanding lines a lot faster with a hand plane or card scraper as well. It's interesting that you find Poplar for inexpensive. I've not been able to find an inexpensive source for it. I can usually get soft maple or #1com cherry for cheaper. Probably a regional thing as soft maple and cherry are readily available here, while poplar doesn't grow well up here wild.

I understand :). My normal guy I go to the regular A grades of black cherry, red (soft) maple, hard maple and red ambrosia maple are all $4.95 per board foot for the A grade 4/4 size with poplar being $2.50 for 6-8" wide A grade.

The alternate place I found the cheaper poplar has  a more limited selection and air dries it. For a $1.20 a BFI couldn't pass it up <g>.

I was looking at your post history and saw you recommended MD Select Hardwoods. You still get most of your wood there? I'm curious how the grade B stuff is. It's an hour away from me but might be worth the trip.

Nice work on the chest so far. Can't wait to see it with finish on it!

On 7/19/2021 at 3:33 PM, legenddc said:

I was looking at your post history and saw you recommended MD Select Hardwoods. You still get most of your wood there? I'm curious how the grade B stuff is. It's an hour away from me but might be worth the trip.

Nice work on the chest so far. Can't wait to see it with finish on it!

Yes, MD Select is my normal guy. I've occasionally gotten a grade B board when I come across it in the pile, depending on the size of parts you need they can be OK. Generally more knots so you are not going to get a 5 or 6 foot part out of it. Also, not sure how much B stuff he regularly stocks. You might want to call first and ask how much B grade he has for whatever species you are looking for. He is on the net: https://www.maryland-select.com/