FWW / Epic Woodworking Shaker Chest of Drawers

mdbuilder

Drawer stops, I carefully selected a scrap from my 3 pound (!!) supply of leather and 5 minute epoxied a clamped together stack of stops. After curing the excess was trimmed off with a #11 blade and then the stack was flexed open and each stop sliced off one by one. Mini-sled modified to knock the corners off each stop

PXL_20210817_110341029.jpg

PXL_20210817_105857195.jpg

PXL_20210817_105217211.jpg

PXL_20210817_112244358.jpg

• Like 2

I hope this isn't too contentious but i never understood the dual pull. In my experience i usually have 1 hand full and dual pulls just leads to stuck drawers.

Also is there a reason you didn't align them with the top drawer pulls? I'm trying to decide visually if one would be better than the other? Or are you just following the plans?

May have misunderstood. Even on wide drawers i use a center  pull. I feel 2 pulls results in poor 1 hand operation and just leads to binding. Yes I'm doing it wrong use 2 hands? But when the top is piled with stuff and my arms are full i usually only have 1 hand free.

5542346217197728089.thumb.jpg.bdd104b52b9b92654140d8d4725fe264.jpg

Yep, got it. Guess if you are building your own stuff you can do it whatever way seems right to you :P 

Yet most commercial furniture definitely has two pulls or knobs on wide drawers. Maybe ask the average women if they prefer 1 or 2 pulls on a 3 foot wide drawer overloaded with 20 pounds of sweaters?

12 minutes ago, mdbuilder said:

Yet most commercial furniture definitely has two pulls or knobs on wide drawers. Maybe ask the average women if they prefer 1 or 2 pulls on a 3 foot wide drawer overloaded with 20 pounds of sweaters?

That's a good point but more of a knock on their furniture i guess, if you need 2 hands to open it something is wrong with the drawer. My requirement was effortless sliding regardless of the hardware. This leads me to waxed hardwood slides. I don't think there is any thing more effortless than waxed hardwood slides. The drawers pictured are heavy but slide very easy. And yes i have a reminder to wax them every other year, and am more than happy to do so.

I really like your leather soft close stop though. That's a great idea. I did rubber bumpers but I'd bet the leather would offer a better feel.

On 8/19/2021 at 2:14 PM, Chestnut said:

I really like your leather soft close stop though. That's a great idea. I did rubber bumpers but I'd bet the leather would offer a better feel.

Now, that I can help with.  Send me your address, I'll mail you enough leather for your next 10 projects :). Stamp is on me LOL!

• Thanks 1