Exterior Door

Chestnut

Do you know anything about the history of the house?  The odd sizes of the door and things sounds like it may have been "hand built" by the original owner and things were built to function more then built to a standard.

On 9/14/2021 at 9:09 AM, Chestnut said:

This will keep the panel centered in the door, allow for expansion and contraction, but also prevent drafts around the panel.

Probably keep them from rattling during certain times of the year too.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 1:22 PM, treeslayer said:

new front door for our house is in the near future, QS white oak

I tried a front door of QS white oak. It works up north but not here ion mildew Florida. Regardless of aggressively sealing the door including the ends mildew would get under the finish. It took a year or so to be ugly. I took the door down to bare wood and added a researched chemical treatment and it didn't matter. For the last 3 or 4 years with the right replacement, same design and used the old stained glass using Sapele. Looks perfect. No mold or mildew under the finish. That being said, I know it is the wood of choice up north. And lasts.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Great work as usual Drew, as a new front door for our house is in the near future, QS white oak, using “green” cedar what concerns do you have about wood movement ? ie warping with temp and humidity changes? Oh yeah and see if you can talk them out of painting it, beautiful wood 

I'm not sure how long the lumber was on the rack but my moisture meter was on hand for this project. I have some similar WRC in my shop, EMC for 50% humidity wasn't too far off of what was purchased. One piece was quite a bit higher (near 35% MC) but i set that aside to cut into only if needed. The rest of the boards where around 10%, I can't remember the EMC number, I'd have to check again. For wood movement I left 1/2" in the groove with the weather striping foam for expansion. I doubt it's ever going to expand that much. I don't expect contraction even in winter as with it being an exterior door there will always be a fair amount of moisture near it. The difference in EMC from 15 F & 65% humidity to 95 F and 65% humidity is 1% EMC lower at 95 F. Our outside relative humidity stays relatively consistent all things considered.

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Do you know anything about the history of the house?  The odd sizes of the door and things sounds like it may have been "hand built" by the original owner and things were built to function more then built to a standard.

I wish i had pictures because it does seem very custom or hand built. That makes it sound extravagant but it's not really the case. It's Cinder block exterior walls, The exterior doors are wooden raised panel but the panels are 1/4" ply. Door frames are held in place with a 3/4" threaded rod embedded into the block. The hardware is a large square nut and square washer. It's quite crude honestly but it's well made. House is about 50 feet from a highway and you can't hear any road noise.

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Probably keep them from rattling during certain times of the year too.

That was a secondary goal. The foam weather strip worked great.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

That's a cool technique for the panel profile. How much dado can your arbor hold? Looks wider than what I can stack.

That was 5/8" loaded. I think i can do the full 13/16", but I've never found a need to go that large. Nearly every dado i cut is multiple passes, mostly because it makes getting an accurate fit easier.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

You did a cool job! To be honest, I've never considered cedar planks as a base for creating exterior doors. All the doors that I ordered or bought ready-made were made of the dense oak core. My elderly parents also have a strange house built by some strange builders. Each of their doors is of a non-standard size. None of the modern doors in the stores fit into their doorways. In winter, parents often felt drafts near the front door. Last summer, I ordered a four-panel oak door of non-standard size on https://www.ukoakdoors.co.uk/internal-oak-doors so that they're ready for the arrival of cold weather. After the winter holidays, I ordered them all the interior doors (7 pieces) too. I'm glad I renovated their house this way. What do you say about the quality of cedar compared to oak?

• Thanks 1