Axiom vs Avid vs ?

JohnG

I’m considering buying a CNC router towards the end of the year if the bonus goes well. 

I’m currently thinking about the 2’x3’ or 2’x4’ range. I want to use it to make templates, jig parts, maybe an occasional furniture part, and the typical cnc gift items and trinkets. 

I don’t need high volume output as it won’t be an income generator. I do want good reliability and accuracy.

Axiom is appealing because it’s a single purchase, while Avid requires adding a bunch of different parts together and I get lost knowing what’s required and what’s optional. It does look like Avid has the option of 1/2” collet, which might be nice to have but I don’t know how much of a difference it makes on units this size. 

Any others I should consider? I really don’t want to go over $10k and would prefer closer to $5k. But I don’t want to spend $5k and be disappointed by inaccuracy and poor reliability. 

I have zero interest in building one from scratch, or fully assembling a giant box of parts. The closer it is to using out of the crate the better.

What else do I need to consider? 

I don't know anything about any of them but did you give this one any thought?

Shaper Origin

I think that if I was to consider something for the purposes you mentioned, this is what I would get.  Mainly because no floor space is taken up when not in use.  I have also heard that there customer service is top notch.

On 10/15/2021 at 6:12 PM, difalkner said:

Check out OneFinity and StepCraft.  StepCraft even has one with an automatic tool changer (ATC).  A friend has the OneFinity and it's a nice machine, fairly rigid, too.

A friend has a stepcraft and it has not been reliable, with the z-axis plunging without warning or identifiable reason. I’ll look at OneFinity. 

On 10/15/2021 at 6:15 PM, Mark J said:

Do any of these have the option of adding a laser engraver?  I think that would be a nice feature.

Both Avid and Axiom do, though I haven’t looked into the power of them and what they can engrave/mark. I am potentially interested in getting a laser as a way to sign/date a small piece of wood to attach to pieces I make and to write on picture frames, gift items, etc. 

• Like 1

I would stay away from the origin.  I've used the demos at my rockler to do a simple box joint jig using their right angle table and it just seemed way too much work and frankly didn't feel much easier than using an simple router and a jig.  Unless you need the portability (would be amazing for flooring guys) I personally don't see the appeal.  And this is coming from a guy who is heavily invested in green.

I just ordered the onefinity journey man.   It seemed to be the best built machine in my price range.  You can add an optional Jtech 7w laser.   If it was in my price range I think I would have gotten the axiom.  One feature it has that I really like is the integrated liquid cooling system on their spindles.  So no annoying hoses running all over the place.  If I can make my money back on the onefinity I will eventually upgrade to one of the Axiom pro models. 

I think the Shaper Origin is very cool from an engineering standpoint, but I really don’t have any desire for one. If the workpiece is small or not flat, you would have to rig up a sled for it to ride on, plus having to fuss with the calibration tape. I’m sure it’s fantastic for some applications but at this point it’s not what I’m looking for.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...