Small Miter Box

Chet

I've been using something like this for many years.  It does take a very narrow kerf saw.  Even at today's price it's not bad if you can go pick it up; even better with a coupon.  I mounted mine to a block of wood so I could clamp it in the vise. I also double-stick tape a scrap of wood to the bottom to saw into.  I use it for dowels, plugs, small trim work, really anything that is delicate.

I couldn't resist so I went looking.  Zona is the brand I have.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 1:27 PM, gee-dub said:

That is the one I have been looking at the most.

On 10/21/2021 at 1:06 PM, RichardA said:

Come on Chet.  It's three pieces of hardwood scrap and three saw cuts Easy peasy.

Sometimes I get to thinking about the next "fun" project and get lazy with things like this.  Then the next time I am in the middle of a project and in need of it the process starts all over.  

• Like 2

On 10/21/2021 at 3:27 PM, gee-dub said:

I've been using something like this for many years.  It does take a very narrow kerf saw.  Even at today's price it's not bad if you can go pick it up; even better with a coupon.  I mounted mine to a block of wood so I could clamp it in the vise. I also double-stick tape a scrap of wood to the bottom to saw into.  I use it for dowels, plugs, small trim work, really anything that is delicate.

I only use a narrow kerf saw when cutting small pieces which made my old one a pita. I just ordered this one and they promise I will have it tomorrow! Love me some Amazon! How they do it, I’ll never know? “Oh heck, Coop is spending more $$ so let’s make him happy”:D

Thanks @gee-dub for the link and for the hint of the scrap wood on the bottom. 

I made these out of scraps of Baltic Birch ply, and forget what the bottom wood is.  They're mainly used for putting down shoe molding, but come in handy for other small things too.  The saw is one of my old Stanleys.  I don't have a good reason why I made three of them, instead of just one, but they don't take up much room.

Slots cut with the Langdon-Acme, and a saw with about the same set width as this dovetail saw.

IMG_3468.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...