Another Urn

gee-dub

1 hour ago, gee-dub said:

Locate one post piece from an old monitor stand (they came with multiple post pieces that stacked for different heights). Bore a matching hole of an appropriate depth.
57668444_Urn-Mike(4).jpg.ae2a24394e1be3b30d82eb5a972f9b32.jpg
Attach shop vac.

Brilliant.  I've been saving those same monitor stand parts for probably 15 years.  And now my hoarding behavior has been vindicated! 

(Of course now I have to run out and buy an I-box; as soon as I find out what that is :)).

On 11/5/2021 at 1:10 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Sorry for the loss of you brother-in-law, Glenn.  Very nice urn design, though. Did I miss a step where you curved the side walls? I'm very interested in how you managed that so smoothly.

I did not show that for the mock up.  I will be sure to include this on the "keeper" that is now in the clamps.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 12:41 PM, Mark J said:

Brilliant.  I've been saving those same monitor stand parts for probably 15 years.  And now my hoarding behavior has been vindicated! 

(Of course now I have to run out and buy an I-box; as soon as I find out what that is :)).

The i-box is handy and when I got one they were not much over $100.  At $200 I think they may be pushing it ;-)  I still do box joints with a key in a sac fence on the sled which is just as nice; especially for larger fingers.  I'm not trying to talk you out of it.  Just callin' 'em like I sees 'em.

Sorry for you and your family's Loss Glenn.  Its unfortunate that this is the way the new shop gets christened but at least you got to take things for a test drive.

On 11/5/2021 at 1:45 PM, gee-dub said:

Did I miss a step where you curved the side walls? I'm very interested in how you managed that so smoothly.

I am looking forward to this also.

Normally a pic is worth a thousand words but I tend to be slower than most. You said normally you cut the four lower faces then flip and cut the uppers. I don’t understand how you tapered the bottom cuts. Is the angle of your fence adjustable? If you tilted the table, it would cut the upper half. What am I missing? 

On 11/7/2021 at 5:41 PM, wtnhighlander said:

I can't think of a water borne product that would have done that justice. Darker woods just glow under an oil base in a way they just don't under water.

I agree and plan to spend some time on that quest after I'm settled in.  It may be that I continue to use hand applied oils and spray a waterborne topcoat.  Habits can be hard to break :).  He was a machinist and a fabricator and I wanted the box joints to kind of echo that mechanical career without being too much in your face.  I knew from experience that the oils on the face and end grain gave me that look.  Sometimes it's good to go with what you know :)

• Like 2

On 11/8/2021 at 7:42 AM, gee-dub said:

It may be that I continue to use hand applied oils and spray a waterborne topcoat

My most of the time go to is a coat of shellac to bring out the grain and then spray a waterborne topcoat.  I use different color shellac flakes depending on the wood species and whether the wood will darken or lighten over time.

I really like the shape of the urn Glenn, not what you normally see when they are made from wood.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 10:23 AM, Chet said:

My most of the time go to is a coat of shellac to bring out the grain and then spray a waterborne topcoat.  I use different color shellac flakes depending on the wood species and whether the wood will darken or lighten over time.

Great info Chet, thanks.  Shellac and I have been friends for years so this is encouraging.  I rarely use colored flakes and have leaned toward adding dye when I want to tone things.  I think I will pick up a few small packs of colored blond, garnet, etc. and test those out while I am dialing in the "new way".

• Like 1

I was eyeing the Ibox jig before your post and searched the site for a few answers and never found good ones.

How good does it work for large parts? Also how does it handle the bat ears on the dado blade or do you have to use a dedicated box joint blade?

I was thinking of using box joints for a 24" x 36" x 16" cabinet.