Astronomy?

wtnhighlander

Found this.   https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/visible-planets-tonight-mars-jupiter-venus-saturn-mercury/

My best friends are some of the World's top Astronomers, including my closest best friend, since we were 5 and 6.

My Wife's Father is gone now, but we had a good story to tell on him.  We used to have campfires, and visitors would come and go.  One night, some young guys showed up who my FIL had never met before.  He showed them how to find the North star.  They very patiently paid attention.

When they left, FIL asked who those guys were.  I told him they were, even then before winning the Nobel Prize, some of the World's top Astronomers.  He was a career Coasty, and let out a long list of profanity.  We never let him live it down.

The James Webb Telescope is supposed to launch before long.  All my friends are Very nervous.

• Like 2

Jupiter makes sense, this is about as bright as when it and Venus(?) were lined up a year or two ago.

IMG_20211206_190005839_1.thumb.jpg.ec092fccc8f22b9e99065e1b00fe9707.jpg

This was just as the moon hit the treeline, about 7 pm. Even bracing against a pole, I couldn't stabilize enough for a clear shot. Cody snapped a couple with the zoom lens on his Nikon, if they turn out I will post them.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 6:52 PM, wtnhighlander said:

While walking the dog after dark, I saw what I assume was the ISS traverse the sky. A tiny, but steady, pin-prick of light, crossing from the Southwest horizon, to the Northeast horizon, in about 3 to 4 minutes.

I would guess what you saw was probably some smaller satellite.  The ISS is a pretty big spot of light because of all the solar arrays on it.  It is generally one of the brighter things in the night sky.

• Like 1