3M Xtract Discs

Coop

I forget where the reviews of orbital sanding disc originated but one of the top picked discs were the 3M Xtract. I ordered an expensive box of the 150 to try them. Agreed with the review that they are aggressive and long lasting but that’s where my love ends. Used with my Festool ETS 150, they are but impossible to remove from the sanding pad. I don’t know if it’s the heat build up during sanding or what, but it’s unlike any other disc I have ever used. Not worth the cost of replacing the $45 Festool pad. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@Coop, I recently purchased a pack as well. Onky used a couple of disks so far. They seem to do well on flat surfaces, but I use my ROS to shape a lot of curves, too. The grit tends to separate from the backing when force is concentrated on a small portion of the disk.

Honestly, I still prefer the Shopsmith abrasives that I used to buy at the big blue store. Unfortunately, my local store has dropped Shopsmith in favor of Craftsman, which is even worse than the cheap Gator brand that they also sell.

Coop how long did you run the disc on the pad? Is the pad new or heavily used? I'm curious as to what happened it seems like the paper is both used and well liked. Something had to have happened.

Maybe try reaching out to festool customer service and see if they have suggestions. I know Wdwerker said he got good advice from them back in the day.

I also stumbled upon this it seems like maybe the net type abrasives are hard on the hook and loop? https://www.festoolproducts.com/festool-203343-granat-net-protection-pad-for-6-sanders-2-pack.html

• Like 1

I tried the discs on a new firm pad that I just recently replaced and on a new semi soft pad that I just purchased as well. The sanding being done now is on an old desk and very little is done using the edge of the pad. After using the 150 3M discs, I switch to Festool’s 180 disc with no problems. I can attach the 3M and remove it without problems before using it however. Prior to purchasing the 3M, Festool’s is the only discs on this sander that I have used. 

I use a similar pad protector linked above, i think it is made by Mirka.  Whoever makes it, it is less expensive than Festool.  If I remember correctly it was in the $5 range.  For me, using the intermediate pad the hook and loop outlasted the foam on the Festool pad. 

• Like 2

On 1/19/2022 at 9:03 AM, Chestnut said:

I also stumbled upon this it seems like maybe the net type abrasives are hard on the hook and loop? https://www.festoolproducts.com/festool-203343-granat-net-protection-pad-for-6-sanders-2-pack.html

Just ordered these in case Festool had a problem with the one suggested by @Dave. Thanks Nut! 

On 1/19/2022 at 10:28 AM, Dave said:

I use a similar pad protector linked above, i think it is made by Mirka.  Whoever makes it, it is less expensive than Festool.  If I remember correctly it was in the $5 range.  For me, using the intermediate pad the hook and loop outlasted the foam on the Festool pad. 

Dave, thanks for your input as well. So these attach to the pad and the disc attach to them? Do the discs remove from the protector pretty easily? 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 9:15 PM, Coop said:

Dave, thanks for your input as well. So these attach to the pad and the disc attach to them? Do the discs remove from the protector pretty easily? 

Yes, exactly - stick it on the tool and then stick sanding disk to it.  When I bought my first Festool sander the store suggested the intermediate pad to save the wear and tear on the Festool hook/loop.  It must have worked because the hook and loop was still sticky when the foam separated from plate that bolts to the sander. 

I pretty much use Mirka Abranet - buy them in bulk when the store near me has one of their sales.  The Abranet removes easily.  I've used some pads that start to pull the protector off, but don't ever recall any that were a PIA to remove.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/abrasives/discs/?hawkview=grid&category_nested=5"-Discs&grit=100 Grit&abrasive_grains=Alumina Zirconia&how_discs_connect=Hook %26 Loop

I have not tried the 3m product mentioned. I use cubic zirconia on belts and discs. Including my 5" Makita ro. In my experience it lasts longer than any other abrasive I have used. I feel Klingspor  is a good source. 

On 12/2/2022 at 8:55 AM, Chestnut said:

Man that sucks. How many sheets do you have left?

For their cost it might be worth trying. Even if the results are the same it's cheaper than the festool pads.

All of my sanding discs with the exception of 150 grt 3M Xtract are Festool’s. I also make sure that my CT vac is turned down to about 50% to make sure there is not too much suction when sanding. 
I’ll call Festool customer service Monday to see what I might be doing wrong, if anything and also the aftermarket folks to see what the difference is in their pads. 

I wish I would have remembered this thread before I ordered some 3M Xtract Cubitron II Net Discs.  I ordered a sample pack and the recommended 3M Hookit Clean Sanding Disc Pad Hook Saver pad interface as well.  I'll test them and report back.  Good thing I have a replacement pad in the cabinet in case my experience mirrors yours.

I’ve found that the 3M disc wear themselves out both visually and performance wise where the Festool discs still look good at the end of their lives but just quit removing wood. The 3M seem to be more aggressive throughout the life of the disc, IMO, and I have only used the 150.