Ash & Boxelder Crib

Chestnut

20 hours ago, Ronn W said:

Interesting project.  Looking forward to tagging along.  too bad about the poor condition of the Box Elder there was some i nteresting flaming.

There defiantly is some good flame in the box elder but some was lost due to waste yes. I do have other slabs that dried much better and didn't break apart as much. I'd have to go through the stack of slabs to see how much of it has the flame color.

22 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I have a question about this technique, as I typically don't glue anything together before the surfaces are near finish-ready. How difficult is it to avoid damaging the keeper surface when you remove the clamping blocks?

Damaging the surface for me wasn't an issue. CA glue with activator is relatively weak and breaks easily with out damaging the surface. This will come down to the wood used though. If a person does this on a soft wood it would be advisable to try a different route. I know Cremona will use a softer wood for the caul for example he'd glue on cedar, this would result in the caul breaking off before the project part would be damaged.

Both my method and Cremona's method result in glue and some wood fibers being left behind. This is raised so a little sanding would easily clean it up. One should take care doing this on large pore woods like red oak and ash that will receive a dye or stain. The CA glue could be left behind causing some uneven finishing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Coop said:

I don’t understand all I know about CA glue. Is it the thin stuff that’s most commonly used and in your application Nut? 

Coffee hasn't kicked in some I'm not fully understanding the question. I use the stickfast CA glue in medium. https://www.rockler.com/quick-set-glue-2-5-oz

When the spray activator is used with CA glue the glue becomes weaker and more brittle. This helps the situation allowing the cauls to be broken off easier with less potential damage to the project part.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chet said:

Drew have you tried using the blue tape and CA glue to attach clamping cauls?

Yes for small cauls like this, i have not had good luck with it though. If the cauls have more surface area for the tape they can work otherwise they just seperate pretty easily.

9 minutes ago, BonPacific said:

was a bevel-up jack with a 38* blade.

My bronze #4 has a 55 degree frog it and and will handle figure in maple and cherry with ease. It wasn't able to do anything on the ash. The only thing that makes sense to me is that because the wood is so flexible when the grain changes it doesn't break but just tears. I can take 1/4" off cuts and bend them completely around my knee and they won't even make sounds like it's about to break. I really wanted to try steam bending this wood as i'm sure you could do crazy things with it but i never grot around to it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Looking great, Drew! I can't wait to see the first pic you post with little Nutmeg peeking over the rail!

I'm excited for that as well. It might be a while takes what 6-9 months for babies to stand with assistance so I'll update in a year!

• Thanks 1