Sanity check on a used G1018 - 8" grizzly jointer

BonPacific

Hey folks. I'm considering a used G1018 jointer that's being sold locally for $550. Price feels a little high, but anything larger than a 6" jointer is somewhat rare around me. Minor surface rust on one end (outfeed). I'm mostly trying to decide if this is likely to keep me happy for 5-10 years, versus saving up for something newer or waiting for something cheaper. I don't currently have a working jointer and I've got some rough lumber sitting in my rack that I've been shying away from really using though I don't have any specific projects in mind.

This is all just me talkin' and is worth every penny you are paying for it :).  That being said . . . With the prices of used gear being all over the place and the scarcity in your area of 8" machines I can see the attraction.  It misses s few things on my "gotta haves" list when I was shopping for an 8".  These are things that were important to me (they still hold true 14 years later) and may not map directly to your situation.

- I am still scarred from trying to align dovetail ways beds on an older machine and so p-beds were a must.  On the other side of that argument, once you get them set you may never touch them again.

- I like a long infeed table.  Outboard supports are great and I do use them for anything longer than my tables but, being able to do 80% of my work without a roller stand is pretty cool.

- 1-1/2 HP is probably OK.  I would give it a run with 7" material and see how it feels.  My 3HP sometimes seems like it could benefit from an extra horse.

Like I said, this is just me talkin' and shouldn't be the deciding factor on anything.  If you have been looking for a few years and this is the first decent 8" machine to show its head for under $1500 I would be sorely tempted.  Grizzly is good about having parts for very old machines so you would have that going for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Man $550 sounds like a good deal. I have a feeling that supply chain issues aren't going to get any better any time soon. With some of the global unrest and eyes looking at china and Taiwan It seems like there is no better time than the present. Even if you use it for a couple years and determine it doesn't fit your needs you should be able to easily sell it and recoup your investment.

• Thanks 1

Considering the cheapest floor standing 8" jointer from Grizzly is $1750 + shipping/taxes I'd say go for it. Even a 6" one is over $1000. As long as it works the worst that happens is you save up and sell it, possibly for more than you paid.

• Thanks 1

I would not be afraid of a dovetail ways jointer. I have had two. Once you set them up, you kinda ignore it. It isn't that hard to realign if necessary. Then again, I am one of those that sets up a machine and doesn't mess with it. I don't change depth very often, so very little wear.

Sucks on the selling side to. I had a guy that showed up with 10% less cash than was agreed on. I took it because I spent more in gas getting to the location than I would have gained backing out of the sale.

I also have learned to do $20 increments as that is most often what an ATM spits out.

• Like 1