Harvey G700 Dust Processor

JohnG

Thanks Coop! 
It has a dust bin inside the unit.

This part opens up

484CCA2E-2B7C-4DE8-BC3F-C53B5B52AC03.thumb.jpeg.e7c2d205bd95ff45db334dbd69e9ad01.jpeg

Opens by turning these two knurled knobs. They have a rubber bumpers that turn into feet as the panel rotates down.

4DE83FE8-5129-4A24-B157-D6A17F38B3B6.thumb.jpeg.b54884b289940018b10300609691265b.jpeg

Then you can access the latch that lifts up the bin to seal it.

0ADEAF67-F28F-4250-8583-FA936CA3D318.thumb.jpeg.4e00b03187299e2d01dd348be4b6f78b.jpeg

And finally the dust bin rolls out on guides built into the bottom of the unit and the dust bin door.

7B0198D0-C057-4E56-8A26-088F95C1F046.thumb.jpeg.252e892b13a6119de6dfa4c5d78443ff.jpeg

Hard to see but there’s a wheel in that shadow that rides on the metal track. 

The dust bin itself is surprisingly heavy and solidly built, maybe to reduce noise. It actually has two compartments, one large and one small. Don’t quote me but I think the smaller one is supposed to catch the extra fine dust and the bigger is for coarser dust/chips. 
E9F894D6-E814-462D-ACF5-32AF97B12D8B.thumb.jpeg.75fbba189ac67d9f205893f36bfa4d34.jpegE9CEC900-D26E-457C-9069-5B7A31AF3791.thumb.jpeg.61fa83305be20ad9865b98a16ec058f2.jpeg0E02E759-88AC-4C96-A931-5ED0897C331C.thumb.jpeg.0fa8b3635f0b58a96c0b332934761097.jpeg

The two red knobs on the top right of the unit are the filter cleaners, similar to what several cyclone units have. There are two cleanout caps at the bottom on the right end of the unit to remove whatever is knocked loose by the filter cleaners. My one ding against the unit so far is that these cleanout caps and the housing that they attach to are pretty cheap feeling plastic. They don’t match the quality and feel of the rest of the machine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Curious how the performance of this unit is. I recently upgraded from my Hammer A31 to a Minimax FS 41 ES and may want to upgrade my DC setup soon as I am not necessarily in love with my 2HP Jet Cyclone I have. Curious if this would be up to the task of a 16" jointer / planer that is capable of taking a healthy bite into the pieces I run through it. Also curious how mobile this is as I do not leave my unit stationary. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/2/2022 at 12:30 PM, bob bray said:

The Harvey G700 is perfect for a small shop due to low noise and space needed but it has limitations for production runs or if neglecting to clean regularly.  It is a major pain to clean out if plugged and the paddles will break if you forcefully turn the knobs when plugged.

Isn't this every collector? My Oneida Gorilla pro is a pain when i forgot to check the bin and i fill the filter with sawdust too.

I don't trust alarms and just check the bin regularly. If I'm running my planer a lot it gets checked frequently like every hour.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chet said:

I would rather have some kind of sight glass on the bin over an alarm.  On mine the plastic bag is one big sight glass.;)

I've thought about putting a window on my bin. I just haven't gotten around to it as there are a lot more pressing things to get done.

I should have mentioned that when I've plugged the filters, the first bin was 1/2 full or less.  The suction bypassed the first bin much more than it should, then filled the second bin and the filters.  Yes, any DC will eventually plug up when full.  That's my issue with the G700.  I wasn't expecting the unit to be full.  After using any DC for a good amount of time, you'll get a feel when it's getting full.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/2/2022 at 10:30 AM, bob bray said:

I'm moving to a new shop in 6 months and will look to replace my G700 with a 3HP Jet or a similar sized Oneida.  The Laguna's seem to be hit or miss on reviews.  I'll have the space and the headroom and might build a vented closet for it to reduce the noise.

Hey Bob, you must be getting close to that move.  If you're still thinking of selling, I'm thinking of buying!  If by some odd coincidence you live on the west cost maybe we could work something out.  (I'm near San Jose, CA.). If you're not thinking of selling, what convinced you to keep it?

• 1 month later...

I'm moving to a new shop in 6 months and will look to replace my G700 with a 3HP Jet or a similar sized Oneida.  The Laguna's seem to be hit or miss on reviews.  I'll have the space and the headroom and might build a vented closet for it to reduce the noise.

I'd be interested in buying it if you live near Fargo, ND :)

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I've owned a Harvey G700 for over a year and used it to mill white oak for a whole home cabinet build and all millwork for a 4200 Sq. Ft. home.  The only issue I have is trying to set the correct blower speed as not to plug up the filters.  I've had to completely disassemble the filters three times after they became completely plugged up.  Last time this happened, I had the blower setting at the lowest (40) while planing and the alarm did not sound.  The first bin was about half full and the second bin and filters were packed full.  I was using a 4" hose about 8' long.

So now I need to guess when to stop and check the bins and make sure the filter paddles can turn.  This is such a frustration when I need to stop and check since the alarm only works on the first large bin.  It takes me over an hour to pull the filters out, clean and replace.  Harvey needs to put an alarm on the second bin!  And Harvey need to redesign the unit housing so the filters can be removed much more easily.  

Otherwise, my unit works great but reconsider whether to buy this if you plan on planing 100+ BF.  This is not a production dust collector for even a small shop.  

I run my drum sander, table saw and miter saw, I run at 75.  When I run my planer, I run from 40 to 58 but a decent amount of chips don't get sucked up.  As long as I use the self cleaning process periodically, everything but the planer doesn't create enough saw dust to plug the filters in one go.

You also risk plugging the filters if you use the Harvey G700 as a shop vac when gobbling up piles of saw dust. 

The Harvey G700 is perfect for a small shop due to low noise and space needed but it has limitations for production runs or if neglecting to clean regularly.  It is a major pain to clean out if plugged and the paddles will break if you forcefully turn the knobs when plugged.

My Oneida two stage collector is some distance from my 'worst offenders', 8" jointer and 12" planer. All of my lumber is rough-cut, as I saw and dry my lumber from my own property. I was having issues of not checking the bin beneath the Oneida frequently enough and plugging the filters. I now have separators next to both the jointer and planer, the simple plastic lid on a trash can. The cans are right where I'm working, so I can easily check the lever of chips/dust, and can quickly swap out a filled can with an empty and keep working. As the heavy offenders are on the far end of about 70 feet of 6" duct with more bends than would be recommended, the Oneida wasn't delivering as much suction as I'd like. I have installed the blower unit from dust collectors I found for good prices at both the planer and jointer. Not a perfect approach, but working with the space I had in a house that wasn't designed around a work shop what I've come up with works for me.