Hi From Kentucky!

A Guy In Town

I am not sure Kentucky really falls into the "SouthEast US" category, but here I am.

I am retired, 64,  single, and enjoying life.  I have two home hobby shops packed with tools and machines.  Unfortunately, I have more money than energy, so I have been struggling with forcing myself to get out there and just start making ... something!  

My focus at the moment is Halloween.  I have sort of volunteered (more accurately, BEEN volunteered)  to assist in making haunted house props, and it is challenging.  Tombstones that move, floating books, and facades for AtmosFX projected zombies, spiders, and such.  This year we are going to try to follow the Disney Haunted Mansion theme, complete with the floating Madam Leota head, and other special effects.  We are crafty guys, but we don't have Elon Musk's money.

Joe

• Like 2

I tend to try a lot of things that don't work.  But I like to think outside of the box.  So once in a while, I can make something work, while everyone told me it wasn't possible.

I am not a woodworker, in that I could never build a beautiful guitar, or a piano, or a grandfather clock.  Most of my experience with wood has been more along the lines of custom redwood decks, patio covers, things that can have a 1/4" error here and there, and still LOOK good!  I really admire people who can patiently work on a project like you guys do.  I have thought about taking a woodworker's community college course, but I would probably fail, because I just cannot seem to finish A before I move on to B.  Then C comes along, and I don't know if A will ever be finished. 

Joe

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

We are now into 2024, and my shop is a complete mess!  I had a crew move everything outside, so they could install spray foam insulation.  Then the rains hastened pulling everything back into the building, so it was just PILED in the center of the floor, and I have to get in there to reassemble my entire shop to make it workable again.

I sure would like to meet someone, or several people who live NEAR me, to come here and point me in the right direction.  I have some tools, probably not what true bona fide woodworkers would consider adequate.  I have two table saws, a yet to be assembled 110" tall panel saw, a DeWalt planer, a Grizzly Tools 21"(?) Helical planer, several drill presses, two belt sanders, and a LOT more here.

I have recently been bitten by the LASER BUG.  I bought ONE X-TOOL D1 PRO 20 watt blue diode laser.  After toying with it for a while, I got the extension kit for the frame to give me a larger work area.  Then I bought the rotary tool.  Then I added the IR 1064nm laser head, and later, the 40 Watt blue diode head.  Then ... then ...  then ... I now have eleven lasers to set up on the second floor of my FrankenBarn.  One of them is a 30 Watt OPT LASER system that I will mount to a 5x10 foot cnc table.

I wish I was 25 instead of 65.  I would have more energy, and more enthusiasm, I guess.  I am going to take a shot at turning this shop into something, and if I fail, I guess I will have one Hell of a yard sale.  I used to have eight vendor booths, those 10'x10' booths in vendor malls.  I made metal art, etc. and was feeding them with metal and other products.  The covid zombie apocalypse hit, and I shut EVERYTHING down.  I haven't done much in my shops in the last four years.  It is a shame, really.

There are no young teens around who just want to hang out to LEARN either.  The American work ethic is DEAD. Kids today stare at their phones, and tell you that want $50.00 per hour to take out the trash!  Bunch of worthless mutants!  When I was a teen, I would work in shops for FREE, just for the opportunity to WATCH and LEARN.  I would sweep floors, and empty trash cans, and occasionally get to help a guy do some project.  I would not trade THAT education for anything.

What a shame, that we now have a whole generation of entitled brats who can't read a clock, or sign their name in longhand, or make proper change for a dollar, but they believe they are worth $1,000.00 per week IF you want them to actually DO anything.

Joe

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

When the weather warms up a bit, I will tackle this project.  I was planning an epic round trip 10,000 mile motorcycle tour to Prudehoe Bay, Alaska in 2024, but I decided to cancel those plans.  I can do the ride, but I just decided that I don't want to ride into, or through Canada. 

Joe

On 1/15/2024 at 12:07 PM, Chet said:

That's too bad, there is some beautiful country and great people in Canada.  Alaska is worth the trip also.

I am like Coop with four great grand kids

No wife, no "ex," no kids, no pets, no plants to water.  I like to keep it simple!

Riding my Goldwing to Alaska was on my bucket list, but I cannot ride there without riding through Canada, and that is a deal breaker.  Yes, the PEOPLE are great!

Joe

On 1/15/2024 at 4:01 PM, JohnG said:

Curious what's such a deal breaker about driving in/through Canada?

I am fairly certain that the admin does not want me to answer that question.  Suffice it to say, the freedoms I enjoy here in America are non-negotiable.

Besides, I have lots of tools and machines here in my two workshops to keep me busy until the afternoon of my funeral :rolleyes:

Joe

I think it’s fine for you to say it’s the gun laws. I don’t think anyone will argue about it one way or the other. 

I thought that might have been the case, but wasn’t sure. 

It’s nice having tools and equipment available. I enjoy being able to fix our kids toys and things around the house instead of sending it all to a landfill, whether it’s soldering a wire, repairing a chair leg, or 3d printing a replacement part, etc. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 4:01 PM, JohnG said:

I've visited Canada but never driven there. Curious what's such a deal breaker about driving in/through Canada?

Some people love to complain about the younger generations as a whole, particularly Millennials and Gen Z. In my experience, it is often Gen X and Baby Boomers that make these statements. However, Millennials and Gen Z were/are primarily raised by Gen X and Baby Boomers. :unsure:

There are certainly some good knowledge and skill that has been largely lost or forgotten, but there are also some valuable new knowledge and skills that have been gained, as well as some things that are good to be left behind. Each generation swings one way or another, too far on some things and not far enough on others. As a parent, I know that it's not easy knowing the best way to handle each situation. We're all just doing the best that we can with what resources, experience, and knowledge we have. It's easy to judge others, but it's also easy for others to judge us.

Well said @JohnG!! Thanks I was thinking the same thing but appreciate that you posted it.

• Like 1