Router speed controller

BillyJack

I use the one that is built into the router. If they have built in speed control or soft start the external controllers won't work. The routers in your picture will not work with an external controller.

Given their cost a new router with built in speed control would probably be more cost effective. Reviews indicate that they commonly fail or don't work.

• Like 1

I've got the big Porter Cable router in my router table and reaching the speed control is inconvenient.   If I found a decent external control I'd be interested in trying it.  If the PC speed control was set to high, why wouldn't the external control work?

On 11/30/2022 at 9:45 PM, wtnhighlander said:

The simple external controls, that essentially just drop the line voltage, probably will work, with the power loss I mentuoned above. However, it is possible that lowered line voltage may cause the soft-start to fail, misbehave, or even become damaged (unlikely).

This is the question that has been uncertain since it was asked in 2000. Doesn't seem to be clear information of using a external speed controller on a 3+hp router. On a 3"+ router bit it needs a soft start. At the time they were $35 to replace, now they are 75+. I've burnt out two on one DW625 routers and one on the other

One router still works on on full speed, but he other doesn't work at all. Reason Ive considered an external controller..

20220217_133049.jpg

20220217_124542.jpg

11 hours ago, Mark J said:

I've got the big Porter Cable router in my router table and reaching the speed control is inconvenient.   If I found a decent external control I'd be interested in trying it.  If the PC speed control was set to high, why wouldn't the external control work?

Mostly because electronic equipment (diodes etc) need a minimum electric requirements (voltage, freequency, current, etc) to operate. How ever the external speed controllers work they chops up the electricity to the point that the on board electronics won't function.

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2022 at 9:24 AM, JohnG said:

You said you’ve been wanting to know this since 2000. I’d rather spend $50 than wait 22 years for an answer. 

If was brought up on Woodnet 20 years ago. It's an old discussion with no real facts. I've got 20+ routers, I don't need it, but it doesn't hurt to ask, 

The price dropped at replacement parts  to $53 from $70. I don’t trust it to run large bits anymore , but one is running and I can it elsewhere, but one isn’t and either I have to bypass somehow or replace the controller. 

i think I can take the Bosch 1617 out and use a single speed on the pocket hole cutter. And a single speed in the table saw were a DW618 is used.  This will unlike two good routers up,and put two failed ping routers where they are seldom used…

Sorry…. I do a lot of thinking out loud…

The speed controller is essentially the electronics board on the router. If you take your failed router and wire them bypassing the electronics the external speed controller will work.

If you have any onboard electronics the combating electrical ninjas will result in the router not working.

This doesn't take any testing it just takes some research and guidance from the router speed controller manufactures. It's all covered in their technical documents. That said what ever is causing the electronics on your routers to fail will likely cause the external controller to fail. If you try and remove the raised panel material in 1 pass you are probably overloading the router causing the failure. Relieving material before going to the panel bit would go a long way in getting the router to last longer. Alternately a shaper might be a better option.

You should never use a router panel bit to remove all material at one time. When the bit is new or just sharpened I’ll ge5 two passes, as it dulls I will switch raptor three passes.

its never been too much on a single pass, but operating the router under long period of time can be a heat cause. Adding . A typical RP has four sides. Two passes per side is 8x. Now 8x75 door =600. It’s a lot of pressure for a router.

The older PC has held up okay, but it’s the older PC 5182