Stain for Cedar in direct sun

Newbiehere

On 8/9/2023 at 3:50 PM, BillyJack said:

Call Sherwin &Williams..

Appreciate that. I came here for actual help and I’m not well versed in wood as you can see. I’m a nurse taking care of lively people like yourself for a living and doing this as gift for my son. Im a single mother and can’t afford to hire someone. Again, if anyone has any actual insight I’d appreciate it. 

There is no film forming finish that will last any length of time outdoors in the weather. Spar varnish is about the toughest, but you still would need to reapply yearly to keep it tip top. I'd just use an oil based deck stain and redo it yearly because it is so easy to apply.

The Wood Whisperer did a comparison of different finishes for outdoor furniture. It is worth a look.

@BillyJack is correct, a paint supplier can provide good answers to your question. Just understand that any finish used in full sun will require periodic renewal. Like @drzaius, I lean toward an oil-based deck stain or sealer for being easier to renew than a varnish. 

To keep the wood color natural, I suggest this transparent oil stain from SW, or an equivalent.

That being said, aromatic cedar (actually a juniper), which I assume is what you are using, survives remarkably well with no finish at all, if you don't mind the weathered gray color.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 6:35 PM, drzaius said:

There is no film forming finish that will last any length of time outdoors in the weather. Spar varnish is about the toughest, but you still would need to reapply yearly to keep it tip top. I'd just use an oil based deck stain and redo it yearly because it is so easy to apply.

The Wood Whisperer did a comparison of different finishes for outdoor furniture. It is worth a look.

Yes I figured he would have to maintain it every year. In just creating the top and wanted to properly prepare it for the year. I read a lot of recommendations online, but they have so many various suggestions. That’s for the helpful link! 

On 8/9/2023 at 8:03 PM, wtnhighlander said:

@BillyJack is correct, a paint supplier can provide good answers to your question. Just understand that any finish used in full sun will require periodic renewal. Like @drzaius, I lean toward an oil-based deck stain or sealer for being easier to renew than a varnish. 

To keep the wood color natural, I suggest this transparent oil stain from SW, or an equivalent.

That being said, aromatic cedar (actually a juniper), which I assume is what you are using, survives remarkably well with no finish at all, if you don't mind the weathered gray color.

Thank you! This is helpful and I was actually thinking about leaving it natural. I like the weathered look actually, but wanted to be able to preserve it longer. Does transparent oil stain keep it from turning grey? 

When I was younger I would use spar varnish only. No stain needed. That meant strip and refinish every so many years. Depending on weather exposure. I didn't mind the maintenance. That was then. Now I am all about low maintenance . Like mentioned already, no finish. Not as pretty but cedar can last for years. And I don't mind the natural gray . And it doesn't rot.

ps what kind of cedar do you have? Aromatic frequently has some sap wood. White in color. Western red cedar has some sap also. For longevity trim off the sap wood.

I was just refreshing my brain with an outdoor finish article the other day.  If you have a pro paint store around like Sherman-Williams or Dunn-Edwards you can get a "deep base" house paint. Most paint tint bases have some degree of white in them.  Colors are added to these base liquids.  For really dark colors they use a "deep base" which has almost no white.  You apply it like house paint and it dries clear to pretty-darn-clear.  Has all the benefits of house paint as far as weather and UV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2023 at 1:48 PM, Tom King said:

We just replaced part of our deck and I went looking for sikkens and was surprised to see they got absorbed by PPG. Hopefully PPG hasn’t changed the product, but I haven’t had much luck finding it locally. Was hoping to find smaller sizes to try a few colors, but I haven’t seen less than gallons. 

On 8/10/2023 at 3:15 PM, JohnG said:

We just replaced part of our deck and I went looking for sikkens and was surprised to see they got absorbed by PPG. Hopefully PPG hasn’t changed the product, but I haven’t had much luck finding it locally. Was hoping to find smaller sizes to try a few colors, but I haven’t seen less than gallons. 

Thank you for the link. I never heard of this one. So great to know 

On 8/10/2023 at 2:04 PM, BillyJack said:

Thing about  boards and finishing. You really need a finish that can move with wood. In the exterior it’s going to do all kinds of things during each season. You may just need a brush/wipe on finish to just keep it sealed. Occasionally putting on during the seasons..

That is the plan. Will maintain it yearly just didn’t know what the good ones were and if I needed anything else besides a stain. Thank you 

They probably don't sell it in California.  You need to use it outside when there is enough breeze to take the fumes away.  It's Not low VOC.

It's also really thin.  As in much thinner and runny than water.  If you aren't careful, you can lose a lot of it through the cracks between boards.  For that reason, we didn't roll it after the first time.  We used 4" natural bristle brushes, and kept the can on the board we were covering.  It will even run off the brush a lot when you pull it out of the can.