Drum sander

larryjhill704

SuperMax all the way!  We have the 19-38, got it about 6 years ago and it's been a great addition to our little shop.  Easy to change paper, smooth running, accurate - can't ask for much more.

Get the DRO and their caster set if it's in your budget (unless you plan to never move it around).

On 1/24/2024 at 8:08 AM, difalkner said:

SuperMax all the way!  We have the 19-38, got it about 6 years ago and it's been a great addition to our little shop.  Easy to change paper, smooth running, accurate - can't ask for much more.

Get the DRO and their caster set if it's in your budget (unless you plan to never move it around).

I can buy a new 16-32 for $1500 or a used 19-38 for the same price.  19-38 is about a year old. What u think?  It’s going to be a SuperMax either way.  No Jet or other brand.

• Like 1

Two reasons I went with the 19-38 - 1) the conveyor belt is about 3" wider than the drum so there's additional support for wider pieces, especially if you're flipping it around and running the other side through, and 2) I wanted to be able to do acoustic guitar backs/tops in one pass.  They're about 16" wide, sometimes 17", and I didn't want to be at capacity for the width of the 16-32.

Both are good machines, but for me the 19-38 was a better fit.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2024 at 8:42 AM, difalkner said:

Both are good machines, but for me the 19-38 was a better fit.

I also have the 19-38 and have been pleased with it from day one.  At the time I purchased mine the 16-32 didn't exist but even if it had I am pretty sure I would have still gone with the larger one.

• Like 2

I have the supermax 16-32 and love it. I have never installed batteries in the digital height gauge, so I can’t speak to that part of it. 

Every once in a while the conveyor belt will suddenly get off track. I’m not sure what causes it to lose tracking but it doesn’t take too long to realign it.  

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 12:56 PM, larryjhill704 said:

What would a fair price to pay for a used  19-36?

How old is it, what condition is it in, is everything working (like the aforementioned conveyor belt), what options does it have, do you get sanding belts with it, etc.?

On 1/24/2024 at 4:21 PM, pkinneb said:

FWIW two Supermax 19/38's for sale in my market one $2,600 and one $2,800 the cheaper one looks like its be used...a lot... the other looks brand new.

Is that the pricing for the oscillating drum model?

I would glue up some pieces, say to 24” - 28”:wide total, and ask to run it thru the sander and see how it performs. I find on my Jet, that a qtr of a turn on the crank on each pass thru, after rotating it, is ample. 

I've had my 19-38 for about 10 years.  Like David I have replaced the drive belt once.  Easy to align, easy to change paper, consistent performance.  I have never had to realign the height for parallelism since the first setup.  Very solid machine. They seemed to have fixed nearly everything that was wrong with all the preceding models on this one.  I'm sure that is why it sold like hotcakes back in the day and is still a solid investment.  Like many things the price has gotten out of control so the used machines are going to go for more than one might expect.

• Like 2

I have 16/32 Jet. It gets the work done. But it is not industrial grade. The wider the work the tougher it gets. On a 10" wide figured oak it takes 3 passes on the same setting . Then I turn the crank about 1/16th of a turn, then 3 more passes. I use it for book matched figured panels for frame and panel construction. The big machines get it done much faster. But the price is too high and the space needed is too much.  So I have the right tool for my needs. FYI, drum sanders require a dust collector. I tried a shop vac, not even close. 

• Like 2

On 1/26/2024 at 6:22 AM, curlyoak said:

I have 16/32 Jet. It gets the work done. But it is not industrial grade. The wider the work the tougher it gets. On a 10" wide figured oak it takes 3 passes on the same setting . Then I turn the crank about 1/16th of a turn, then 3 more passes. I use it for book matched figured panels for frame and panel construction. The big machines get it done much faster. But the price is too high and the space needed is too much.  So I have the right tool for my needs. FYI, drum sanders require a dust collector. I tried a shop vac, not even close. 

I’m really limited on space as well and I don’t built that large of projects.  I think a 16-32 would be alright.  A 19-38 is of course bigger, but 3 inches.  I build more smallish tables and furniture.  You need a dust collection for sure, the SuperMax requires a 650 cfm, while a larger shop vac doesn’t háček that.  Some vacs are wall mounted, that’s a space saver.  By the way, just curious, where are you located?  I’m in SE Kansas