Tinting polyurethane to match orange shellac

tperson

Here’s the skinny: Our oldest (15) is making a walnut gun cabinet in highschool woods class and he’s getting close to start finishing. Our typical regiment is clear shellac, orange shellac, clear shellac, followed by some 50/50 polyurethane rubbed on. Makes a beautiful, lightweight finish. Here’s the problem: I was speaking with the shop teacher at parent-teacher conferences and he said that they really don’t have the space to spray shellac…crap. I’m (now) thinking we should be able to tint the poly and get similar results. I splashed a little orange shellac on a white paper towel last night and let it dry. After it dried, I compared it to the color chart on Mixol’s website…it looks like yellow oxide is a pretty close match (at least comparing my phone screen to the paper towel). Here’s the question: Anyone tried to match the color of orange shellac by tinting poly? I’m fairly comfortable with water-based aniline pigments for dyes, but tinting poly is new territory. I one time tinted some blonde shellac with transtint…the results weren’t stellar, but I was the only one that thought so. Wide open to suggestions and advice. 

Tom

On 2/26/2024 at 9:26 AM, tperson said:

I was speaking with the shop teacher at parent-teacher conferences and he said that they really don’t have the space to spray shellac

Just an option, I wipe on shellac all the time.  I am using shellac made from flakes and DNA, not store bought pre-made shellac.

• Like 1

Shellac is commonly 'wiped on' in the French polish technique. I have used this method several times, using a lot of alcohol, and a little mineral oil to lubricate the wiping pad so it doesn't stick as the shellac dries.

However, it IS a sloooow process. Smoothness isn't the only advantage of spraying!

I wipe on dewaxed shellac made from flakes, exclusively. Works great. You can tint the shellac, then wipe it on. Try some samples, I bet you can find what you like.

Pretty refreshing to hear of a school letting students do/make/build anything having to do with guns. Hats off to the shop teacher!

On 2/26/2024 at 2:26 PM, Chet said:

Just an option, I wipe on shellac all the time.  I am using shellac made from flakes and DNA, not store bought pre-made shellac.

yeah, I thought of that...but he's 15. I've tried to wipe it on and have struggled...and I'm 3x his age!

On 2/28/2024 at 10:38 AM, roughsawn said:

I wipe on dewaxed shellac made from flakes, exclusively. Works great. You can tint the shellac, then wipe it on. Try some samples, I bet you can find what you like.

Pretty refreshing to hear of a school letting students do/make/build anything having to do with guns. Hats off to the shop teacher!

part of the hidden benefit of a country high-school in a flyover state! Our most recent state motto was "It's not for everybody", but it certainly works for me.

• Like 1

I don't think better mixing is going to make a difference.  It looks like the dye is not dissolving in the finish/solvent.  Sort of like vinegar & oil, they're not going ro blend.  

I think you need a multi-layer approach. You need a layer that can impart your color, and need to find a carrier that will work with the tint. If I recall correctly, TransTint, in your picture, has a specific formulation that is not universal. It goes better into alcohol and water, if you do not have a finish that has an emulsifier in it. That has led me to tint shellac as a base for color, if I find the color not mixing in the finish. This may well be the approach you need to use. Tint first, then poly over. 

• Like 2

Correct me if I am wrong but Mixol is a pigment, not a dye.  Pigments are particles in suspension and will naturally separate.  I beleive the instruction are to chake well before opening.  Dyes like transtint do not need to be shaken. 

On 3/4/2024 at 7:06 AM, Tpt life said:

I think you need a multi-layer approach. You need a layer that can impart your color, and need to find a carrier that will work with the tint. If I recall correctly, TransTint, in your picture, has a specific formulation that is not universal. It goes better into alcohol and water, if you do not have a finish that has an emulsifier in it. That has led me to tint shellac as a base for color, if I find the color not mixing in the finish. This may well be the approach you need to use. Tint first, then poly over. 

Thanks Tpt, great suggestion and a path forward. Sorry I haven't responded earlier...haven't hardly been in the shop for the past couple of weeks. 

On 3/6/2024 at 2:18 PM, Ronn W said:

Correct me if I am wrong but Mixol is a pigment, not a dye.  Pigments are particles in suspension and will naturally separate.  I beleive the instruction are to chake well before opening.  Dyes like transtint do not need to be shaken. 

Very interesting comment...would certainly explain the settling. I'll do some digging and report back.