Sketchup on a touchscreen tablet

NBG

Hi everyone,

I have 2 questions for you, nerds / woodworkers. First, who has tried sketchup on a tablet (ipad or else)? IS it doable? Is the touchscreen usable?

And what about drawing on sketchup with a ... "drawing tablet" (? not sure how to name this stuff to make the difference with an ipad-like device, something like that: http://www.amazon.com/Genius-G-Pen-F610-Ultra-Slim-Tablet/dp/B000WEHJHG)?

Is it better? quicker? what do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

ok, I'm a nerd and a woooworker, so I guess I'll take a pick at this.

SketchUp is not available for the iPad/smartphones and I think that as precise as finger gestures are today they are still not precise enough for precision drawing of any kind CAD included.

That said, I AM using (and have for many many years) a tablet on my computers and I find that it not only easier to do things than a mouse as well as some things that would be impossible to do with a mouse (freehand drawing/selecting for example) it is also much easier on the hands/palms/arms and less tiring.

the only thing that I can see people might not like about it is that there is no scroll wheel - but there ARE alternatives to that.

It's maddening enough to use SketchUp on a laptop without an external mouse. My first reaction to using it on a tablet would be "Ouch!" :)

That said, the geek in me wonders if you could get it running on a tablet somehow. I bet it would be so convoluted that the process and resulting bragging rights would be epic.

I think its greatest use on a tablet would be for interactive viewing: rotations, zooms, exploding view, and maybe less emphasis on actual drawing. For example, I could see it being very useful to bring to a client to show your design for a commission. Maybe they'll make a version like that, eventually. Probably call it SketchPad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It would be nice to have a viewer that allows full rotation and zoom and out for handheld/touchscreen device. I pretty much build my self-designed projects straight from the sketch-up model on the computer screen, so I carry a laptop out to the garage whenever I am working.

• 3 weeks later...
A viewing-only app makes a lot of sense for an iPad, since a tablet is more of an information "consumption" model, as opposed to a "creation" model.

I have no desire to create on my iPad, my fat fingers would make a big mess. But I would love to be able to navigate through a model with a customer. Maybe change colors or backgrounds.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've used SketchUp on my iPad, and it's unusable in the current form. Not a good experience with the touch interface. The interface would need to change a bit to make it usable on any tablet. Photoshop was somewhat easier to use because there is less precision, but illustrator was painful to. I think vector based Illustration is not made for touch interfaces, as is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The link showed up for me.

I kind of like the idea of being able to sketch with a stylus but since SketchUp is mainly linear I don't see a huge advantage.  Since I'm not likely to go out and buy a tablet any time in the near future, I guess the point is somewhat moot for me.

I recently purchased Sight Space for my iPad. It might be a good viewer for buildings but not for smaller cabinets. Has anyone else used this app?

Yes I tried out the free version. I used one of my bigger files which is about 30MB in size and it continually crashed the ipad.

I tried it out on smaller files less than 1mb in size and it was ok but still not something I would use in its current form. I deleted it from the iPad.

If you are taking an ipad out to a client with a sketchup drawing to show them, rotate, zoom in/out to help them visualize something then it may be ok. To design with it on an ipad would not be very productive. You would be better off with a laptop PC or Mac with Sketchup on.