Need help with my Jointer decision. So many choices, eyes hurt from reading...

ryandetzel

So I settled on the DW735 planer and now I'm trying to narrow my jointer purchase. I would like to keep the budget under $500. The ones currently in the running are:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-46-Jointer/G0654

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-46-Jointer-with-Mobile-Base-Polar-Bear-Series-/G0452P

Or if I want to go cheaper

http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/6-x-24-Bench-Top-Jointer/G0612

I did have the Delta on there but I've read so many bad things about it I removed it.

Ryan, there are a lot of happy owners out there of these machines. It doesn't look like any significant differences between the two.

Have you considered the Ridgid jointer? I have it and it work well for me, and there also seem to be a lot of happy Ridgid owners. If budget is a primary concern, you can easily pick up the Ridgid for short money on craigslist.

There are a lot of 6" jointers on CL because a lot of people get the 6 and then decide to upgrade to an 8" jointer. Any thoughts on going to an 8?

Ryan, there are a lot of happy owners out there of these machines. It doesn't look like any significant differences between the two.

Have you considered the Ridgid jointer? I have it and it work well for me, and there also seem to be a lot of happy Ridgid owners. If budget is a primary concern, you can easily pick up the Ridgid for short money on craigslist.

There are a lot of 6" jointers on CL because a lot of people get the 6 and then decide to upgrade to an 8" jointer. Any thoughts on going to an 8?

The Ridgid looks like but it's a little pricey, about $120 more than I wanted to spend. I would love an 8" but the price is out of reach right now. I was planning on just getting the 6" and maybe building sled if I wanted to joint larger pieces.

I've been considering these models myself. They seem to be good ones. An 8" jointer is going to be impossible to buy new on a $500 budget. Maybe used on craigslist or local on ebay (I'd hate to pay shipping on one of these unless it's through a corp). You might consider upping your budget to an 8" though considering most places will have between 6-8" width boards. I like the grizzlies in the 8" as well. Then again, you would also have to consider the power in your shop. Do you have 220V? If you don't, you will probably not find a 110V 8" (I have not seen any). You could always spend the extra $100 to install a 220V line. Lots of factors to consider here in a jointer. I have 220V in my shop so I have decided to save up more cash for an 8". I'll just have to use alternatives to my jointing. If you want to go the 6" route I would go with the G0654. I can't see enough differences to go with the more expensive one.

I have the Rigid 6" jointer, and I found that it's impossible to adjust the tables. The manual doesn't say how to adjust them, and when I asked Rigid, they said, "They are adjusted at the factory. If there's a problem, take it into a service center." Some people have been able to adjust the tables using shims.

Also, I bought 3rd party replacement blades and wasn't able to install them, but that might be the fault of the blades, or my own inexperience. I haven't given up on the blades, yet.

Beechwood- my tables came aligned, but I have read people complain of this - maybe I got lucky.

Ryan - I just noticed that amazon has the Ridgid for over $600 - wow! It also is no longer listed on home depot, so I wonder if they even carry it any more. I picked it up for a little over $300 from HD, which is why I thought it might be a better priced alternative.

what i have been told is save up and buy the better tool if you decide to sell you can sell a 8 inch tool you will have a harder time selling a 6 inch. and since the jointer is one of the big 5 ever shop needs i would invest in a decent unit and stay away from the bench top you need heft you will just spend money and not be able to get rid of it.

Don't even consider a a bench top jointer. I have one, and hate it, and never use it for face jointing. I will eventually replace it with a floor model. 220V for me is simply not an option, and most all good 8" jointers require 220V. Personally, I am most likely going to buy a 6" jointer.

If you have a board wider then 6" there are a few things you can do to work around that. With one option being a planer sled is the way to go, and there are a lot of great examples on the internet on making these, and essentially make your planer work the same as a jointer. Another option is keep a #7 jointing plane on hand.

If you are going with 6 inch, definitely buy used from craigslist. I did that and then a few years later found an awesome deal on craigslist on a 12 in rob land jointer/Planer and sold the 6 incher for the same price I bought it for. buying used I think you can almost always recoup your cost when you sell it, especially for these kind of tools that don't change much over the years. Definitely agree to stay away from a bench top unless all you are working with is really small pieces of wood.

Hey Ryan, I would have to go with everyone else here. First, don't waste your time with a benchtop model. Second, if you do go 6", I would avoid the Ridgid. I have seen this one and my FIL has it, and I am just not overly impressed with it. Plus I have heard about the inability to adjust the tables like Beech said. As for the Grizzly's, my first jointer was the G0452X. The 6" with a spiral head. It was a great jointer. It had the spiral head and it did a great job other than it was a little on the small side. Small in width and in length. If you wanted to joint a longer board, it proved to be quite a challenge. I eventually upgraded to a Grizzly 12" with a spiral head. Great machine. If I were you, I would look around on craigslist and see what you can find in a used 8". There are generally some around. Where are you located? Maybe someone might know of one or be able to find one for ya. One more thing, I dont think that you are settling with the DW735. It is pretty much the caddy of the benchtop planers. You will enjoy it, just make sure you have some hearing protection.

• 2 weeks later...

I say, save a little longer and buy the nicer 8". Every time you use it, you'll smile and be glad you sacrificed and saved a little longer. If you don't have 220v and don't know how to wire it yourself, an electrician wouldn't charge you too much to run a wire. Your dad probably has a friend who is an industrial electrician "at the mill" and could do it for you for a little $ or maybe nothing. The well known guy with the trucks on the road has overhead and insurance and blah blah blah to pay for. He'll get a pretty price. Guy from the mill...

I did all the electrical for our basement renovation including our dryer which is 220v and I still have some 10-gauge wire leftover that I could use. I'm guessing it just needs the 220v and the amps are not as high as a dryer would need so 12awg might even work? My issue would be my panel is out of slots...

12g is for 20a 10 is for 30 use what ever wire matches the breaker that is already installed. You can daisy chain off your dryer, you just have to make sure the dryer is off when using the jointer. Some jointers need 20a and some need 30 alot depends on the motor and the motor quality. It used to be 3hp motors all did fine on a 20a but this is no longer the case and some will pull more especially the cheaper ones.

Don

I've got the non-p version of the G0452 and am pretty happy with it. The two things I preferred on it are the raised off/on switch and the fence is rack and pinion adjustable. Not a huge deal either way but I like those two things.

Like others have said avoid the benchtop. They are a waste of raw materials.

I would also say save longer and get an 8". I have had my Ridgid for something like 13yrs now and have been very pleased just wish it was bigger-a lot of people on here have the Ridgid and I have not really heard any bad things except what Beechwood and Sac have said but maybe they have started making them cheaper-go figure. I would watch craigslist or get an 8" Grizzly. I have their planer and love it plus so many others around here have such good luck with them.