Best Planer for a beginner on a budget

COMO

So I am a beginner and am in the market for a planer. I feel like I have looked at every planer in town and have read a bunch of reviews and think I am now more confused than before. I looked at a craftsman today that said it was a three blade but all I can find online is 2 blade. So far I have looked at the Rigid. Looked good but expensive, Delta t305 just seemed flimsy. i have also looked at Ryobi and Dewalt. Now I just need recommendations. Iwould like to keep the cost down but dont want to regret my decision.

we have the dewalt dw735 even though it is little more expensive then the 12.5 inch one i have had no problems finding blades. plus i find it realy easy to take apart as all the screws are eather thumb screwed on or the built on allen wrench wide open area so it is easy to oil it and replace parts. onlything that i think would be difficult would be replaceing the chain for raising and lowering the gap but that has yet to happen. also i like the fact that it has a cover surounding the cutting edge so that the kids in the classroom have to activly stick there hand way inside a small opening to hurt themselves or have any small pieces fly out at them. only realy bad thing about it the outport is right above the outfeed so the hose can get in the way if you dont move it up and away from the piece's

Are you thinking of a lunchbox type ("portable"), or a larger stationary one? What specifically confuses you?

Some of the benchtop/"lunchbox" type have served many people very well. The Delta and Dewalt models often get good reviews. You can often find decent deals on these either new, or used on Craigslist (often from people upgrading to larger machines). I think some of the magazines have had reviews of these in the past and Dewalt is consistently one of the top tools.

I don't know a lot about larger stationary units, but some quick googling should help you find many posts, comments, and reviews.

Another significant decision you need to make is the type of cutter head - knives or a helical cutter. This is mostly a budget/cost decision, but the type of wood you used should also be a factor (helical cutters seem to work much better on highly figured wood).

ok i have to amend the dw735 we had a cog break on it lhad to fix it. the cog was on the rollers for feed in the wood. cost 4 buck for cog at dewalt fixing company was a pain to shift the casing for the chain. had to open up the faceplate on roller chain and then push the entire casing over to get the chain on took alot of forcing to get it on but it did go on.

Well after much deliberation I am starting to lean toward the the Dewalt 734. Budget wise I am just trying to do well for the money. My wife and I are almost out of debt as well as saving for a possible addition to the family. But on the same note I decided a few years ago that I don't want to buy something only to use it a couple times and wish I had bought something just a bit better. I have sold a few things and have the money to buy a planer. I like the reviews the dewalt gets as well the fact that the knives are fairly common. What is everybody's thought on this for a planer to start out with. Thanks for all the help so far.

I had bought a DW733 and it took everything I could throw at it for well over 10yrs, tons of wood went through it. I replaced it with a 15" Grizzly and couldn't be happier but the Dewalt will always have a place in my tool heart. It still works sorta but has one cutter in the grave, I just use it on questionable lumber. A buddy of mine bought the same planer after me, his doesn't see as much use but still going strong. Get the biggest and best you can afford. Hope this helps.