Spend my money

dwacker

Here is the catch. The budget is $11K, cant replace anything less than a year old (that means my whole shop), cant be spent on building improvements, could be a truck but I dont want another business truck , done by end of June.

If you could splurge and by things for your already well equiped shop that is all brand new already what whould you buy. My only thoughts are the powermatic cbm21 but if I could find a machine that did what the domino does, just on a large scale that would be my first choice. Give me some ideas.

Don

So, what's in your "already well equiped shop"?

PM2000 tablesaw

PM 24" bandsaw

PM 5hp shaper

PM 4 wheel power feeder

PM dual drum sander

PM 20" planer

PM 12" jointer

PM Drill press

Kreg pocket hole machine

3 1/4 HP router in jessem lift

10 msc routers

Almost the full line of freeborn shaper cutters

4 stage hvlp

Pretty much anything an average shop needs, thats why im looking for ideas.

Im thinking something to make life easier or a new production line.

Don

I'm assuming a DC system is already in place? If you're into this sort of thing, one item on my wish list is a WoodMizer for cutting my own lumber. 11k would probably cover the miller and / or their re-saw or kiln....

LT15 http://www.woodmizer.com/us/PortableEquipment/ManualSawmills/LT15Sawmill.aspx

HR130 http://www.woodmizer.com/us/PortableEquipment/Resaws/HR130.aspx

Could have some serious fun with!!

Mortiser or lathe?

I like both of those options. Also:

Panel saw

Smaller band saw

2nd table saw to dedicate to a dado stack

Cyclone DC system

Maybe jump on the Festool train:

- MFT

- Track saw

- Kapex compound sliding miter saw

- Festool vacuums/dust collectors

I'm assuming a DC system is already in place? If you're into this sort of thing, one item on my wish list is a WoodMizer for cutting my own lumber. 11k would probably cover the miller and / or their re-saw or kiln....

LT15 http://www.woodmizer...T15Sawmill.aspx

HR130 http://www.woodmizer...saws/HR130.aspx

Could have some serious fun with!!

I completely forgot about those - I change my answer to a Wood-Mizer! :)

I completely forgot about those - I change my answer to a Wood-Mizer! :)

Already have half a mill, kiln and a cyclone system. Ive been trying to get ahold of Griggio to buy a chain mortiser but seem they dont want to do business in the US. Sure wish the US market would catch up on mortisers. My first thought was a horzontal / vertical multispindle boring machine but then i would have to get an edgebander and the big ones are out of the question and the little felders and goliaths dont seem all that great.

Don

You can get a fully tricked out Stinger2 CNC machine with a spindle attachment from CAMasters for 11K. If I only had the $$$'s for that one......

Along Torch's lines, you can blow a wad on the Festools and feel good about the investment.

Instead of going for big ticket items, it sounds like you are at the point where you might want to consider accessorizing your shop in detail with all the small purchases that transform a "well-equipped" shop into one with true depth.

Lathe for wood and metal working

Veneer vacuum press

Oscillating drum sander

Kreg assembly table

Micro fence system

Blue Spruce chisels

Lee Nielson or Veritas planes

TrendAir face shield

Tormek sharpening system

Clamps in all sizes

Woodpecker, Incra, Veritas, Hamilton, Una measuring, registering/calibrating and marking tools

Or you could purchase the gift that keeps on giving - a family in-perpetuity membership to the Wood Whisper Guild for $11K. That's what I would do with your money.

You could get auto feeders and maybe some of those digital adjusters where you type in the cut you need down to like the 100th of an inch (only seen this on TV and I'm not sure if the planer/ jointer/table saw/router were built with the automatic/digital adjusters or if they were after market)

Trying to think accessories, it seems like your pretty well equipped!

An impressive list of tools there already. The only thing that jumps out at me is that I'd have a 14" bandsaw dedicated for curves and your big PM I'd leave set up for resawing and ripping. Then I'd get a big fatty lathe. Oscillating spindle sander? Wish I had your problem...I'd have it spent lickety-split. :)

How about a Euro sliding table saw? Dedicate the PM2000 to dadoing, or sell it next year.

Im going to put some real thought into that idea. Ive got 32 uppers to do tomorrow. Already for the most part done for today but will spend some time watching the clock to see if a slider will save me some time.

Thanks

Don

Im going to put some real thought into that idea. Ive got 32 uppers to do tomorrow. Already for the most part done for today but will spend some time watching the clock to see if a slider will save me some time.

Thanks

Don

We have an SCMI slider in the shop can cut up a hole kitchen in a few hours. The other big time saver would be a castle face frame assembly table with the pneumatic clamps.