Roubo Tool List

I have gotten a number of requests for an "official" tool list. Well, the problem with that is there are so many ways to get a particular job done. I was afraid that by listing all the tools I used, it might be a little daunting at first glance. But clearly the need for this list is there so I'm going to release my personal working (rough) list of tools/bits. Let's use this as a starting point and if anyone has any additions/consolidations, please feel free to post them.

Chisels, circular saw, clamping guide (MDF), jointer, planer, bandsaw, jigsaw, jointer plane, hand saw, hand drill, router with

Router Bits: 1/2", 3/8", 3/4" straight bits

pattern bit: 1 1/4" cutter length if using 3/4" ply for dog hole jig. Can use 1" pattern bit if using 1/2" ply. Or do what I did and use 1" pattern bit and make the cut in two depth passes.

Optional - shallow pattern bit (for round flange nut inlaying)

Optional - Rockler grommet pattern guide http://www.rockler.c...18041&sid=AFN86

Forstner Bits: 1" , 1 1/8" (if doing knockdown), 1 1/4", 1 3/8" and 1 5/8"

Brad Point Bits: 3/8", 1/2" (if doing knockdown), 5/16"

Boring/Auger Bit: 3/4"

rabbeting block plane or shoulder plane

Drills & Taps 10-24 tap - 9/64" drill, 1/4-20 tap - 13/64" drill, 5/16-18 tap - F or 1/4" drill, 3/8-16 - 5/16" drill

• Like 1

Off the top of my head, that is a pretty complete list of what I used. Except, I used a drill press to recess the leg vise flange. I mounted the largest forstner bit I have and then used a chisel and my router plane to get it just perfect.

I'll try to go over the posts I did and recall the actual tools I used. I am lucky enough to have a 12" jointer, so jointing the surfaces was pretty straight forward for me. I also used a lot of other tools to excavate hardware because I started with old timbers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all-

I just purchased this build and I'm in the process of gathering all tools and materials. I have most of the critical tools listed with the exception of a rabbeting block plane or shoulder plane. Obviously these are a really valuable addition to any shop; but if I am buying just one or the other, which one would you advise? I should mention that I already have the LN adjustable mouth block plane.

Thanks!

Kind of depends on what you plan to use it for. If you are truly cleaning up shoulders with it, then of course the shoulder plane is a good way to go. But I find that my shoulder rarely need plane work after initial milling so I tend to heavily favor the rabbeting block plane, since we're now talking about cheek cleanup.