Keep mobile bases with dedicated shop?

estesbubba

I'm having a 30x40 pole built this summer which will be dedicated to my woodworking shop. I'm wondering if I should keep the mobile bases? My planer has one built in and jointer and table are very stable on their bases. My bandsaw is a little wobbly on its and I'll probably put it directly on floor.

Unless I needed the cash, I would leave them on. In a space that size, you may not hit your optimal layout with the first swing.

Couldn't agree more..  Shop layout will change as your workflow / interests evolve.  What I've done is to keep the mobile bases under the tools, but prop base up on solid blocks so it's as sturdy as being on the floor.  When the need calls, a quick tip of the tool, kick the blocks out and re-arrange as necessary..

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more..  Shop layout will change as your workflow / interests evolve.  What I've done is to keep the mobile bases under the tools, but prop base up on solid blocks so it's as sturdy as being on the floor.  When the need calls, a quick tip of the tool, kick the blocks out and re-arrange as necessary..

Pretty solid idea..  If you're trying to keep all your work surfaces at the same height, make sure to keep those blocks with the equipment.

I'd prefer to just work a bit harder on the move in those rare major revamp moves.  Then I don't have to reset those blocks to keep my work surfaces at the same height.

It's important to figure out your workflow, dust collection, and electrical ahead of time.  If all that is spot on then, those major moves aren't needed.

I'd recommend you keep  them, for any of the following reasons.

1. your work habits will change over time, some times even project to project.

2. you will inevitably buy more tools, regardless of what you think or promise your significant other.  :D

3. Some projects need more space than normal to assemble. beds, tables, pick-nick tables etc.

• Like 1

I keep mobile bases under the stuff that we move around in the trailer, and in and out of houses.  I have some hard rubber blocks that we lever them up onto to barely get the wheels off the floor to keep from flat-spotting the tires, and to make the machines more stable.  They're like they are made from layers of tire tread, but they were just something I found laying around that my Father had, so I don't know where to find more.

Two words...options and evolve.  In a smaller shop you really need mobile bases because you need to occasionally squall the TS or planer to cut/plane the long board or easily move non-needed machinery aside as you assemble something.  Mobility=options.  In a larger shop, the space isn't as big of an issue but sometimes you want to a tool move a tool just a little to work better in this corner or in concert with that tool or another flat surface to help during assembly OR AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO USES THE TABLE SAW FOR MORE THAN IT WAS INTENDED FOR????

The other word is "evolve"---you won't arrange your shop just once...as you work, your shop will evolve and you'll get it just the way you want it ....for now....but even that will change.  Then if you change the work that you're doing, you may not need the space for the cutting 10' molding anymore.  If your mobile bases are there already, leave them!  Repair the band saw base and keep all your options.   Incidentally.....that's why I don't get tattoos...my tastes change too much and that expensive, painful thing would be PERMANENT!!! :o

I'm shopping for a couple mobile bases at the moment, and the worktable will be on casters as well. I need my garage to act as several workshops, not just one woodworking setup. 

Rockler.com  on sale $29.99 :)

Red, where are you seeing that offer? Looking at the site, their still full pop. I have been looking for mobile options for the sander and the TS. this is good timing. I think the lighter weight version would be great for the sander. 

Definatly keep them I have a large shop and always need to pull a tool out for cuts on long boards often over 10 feet I have almost every tool on a roling base and will soon have every tool on a mobile base because I always find I need more room for a cut or a hole its a must.

• 2 weeks later...

Good point mentioning dc tiods. Might as well have your ductwork on a mobile base Too. Hey, if the need arises! :)

I Have all my machines on mobile bases and Im glad, I must have changed my shop around 3-4 times before getting it to how I like it...... I think :mellow:

But like you said Freddie I had to rearrange all my dust collection ductwork around to. That was a pain in the butt.