after-market splitter/riving knife

Brendon_t

Does anybody have an opinion?

My delta ts came stock with a beast of a splitter with a huge hood that is always cloudy and two spring tensions jagged hold down levers that leave a gash in soft woods. The unit was so unwieldy I took it off and haven't put it back on for about 6 months but I know I am flirting with danger.

I'm about to make a few new zero clearance inserts and figured this is the time to do it.

What have you used that you like? Where did you get it?

Is the Bork worth the $210!?! I paid $250 for my delta contractor saw, and I am in the same boat as the OP. The original splitter and guard were terrible to work around, so I removed both. I want above table dust collection too, and it seems like you can't touch a blade shroud for less than $179(PSI model), but that wouldn't solve the splitter issue. Lots of complaints on Amazon about the micro jig's pegs wearing out over time.

Is the Bork worth the $210!?! I paid $250 for my delta contractor saw, and I am in the same boat as the OP. ...

It's a matter of opinion, but I think I'd have a hard time justifying a $210 guard/knife assembly for a $250 saw, but you could always start with the riving knife first, then add the guard.  He offers 10% for forum members if you let me know.   The BORK alone would be $135. 

I have a Bork. Took quite a bit of modifications to get it to work on my 1950 unisaw. Even then I was shocked when I got it that the whole thing is just 2 pieces of very cheap aluminum and a hardware store strap clamp. I would not buy again. All the splitters I have seen are superior products.

One more happy microjig customer.  I think I laid out $35 for it and I have noticed a drastic difference in the safety and quality of my cuts.  And it is easy to take out for cross cuts and non-through cuts.  I was debating on buying a BORK, but settled in just nice with the Micro Jig splitter.

On second thought, I have the micro jig splitter and after upgrading to the tenryu blade, I absolutely hate it.  I have to take it out if I am cutting anything with more than 1/2" cutoff the waste side of the blade.  I think I am going to sand the splitter down  and yes I have the ++ instead of the +++   Too tight!!!

I've had the MJ Splitter installed for over a year now on a old Sears 9" Contractors Table Saw.  I have never had any problem with it and I have a couple of different zero clearances inserts set up so that I can use thin kerf or full kerf and the shark finn thingies are spaces out just right for the different thickness blades.  So much safer feeling with the spliitter installed, it now makes me nervous when I have to take them out for a non through cut.

On second thought, I have the micro jig splitter and after upgrading to the tenryu blade, I absolutely hate it.  I have to take it out if I am cutting anything with more than 1/2" cutoff the waste side of the blade.  I think I am going to sand the splitter down  and yes I have the ++ instead of the +++   Too tight!!!

You know what's funny,  I just installed my Delta T2 fence system and the MJ splitter is too tight, even with the + and ++.  I probably have to adjust the back of the fence outwards a hair.

Did you install the splitter before the fence?  I actually had the same issue as the fence locked down more true than the old fence.  I had put the splitter on with the old fence, then a few months later I put the T-2 on.  I ended up getting another ZCI, and reinstalled the splitter with the T2.  Works great now.