How much would you pay?

woodmang

I have a nice sized detached garage that I am planning on converting to my shop. Currently the only "utility" it has is a 60 AMP service from the house (it's own box in the garage, house is 200 AMP).

I am starting to plan out my design and had a contractor come out to quote running gas, water, and sewer to the garage. The quote came in at $3,500.

So how much would you pay to have a sink, and gas hookups in your shop? Am I crazy for thinking that is a good price?

I have not yet researched the way I am going to heat the shop, the gas line was kind of a "why not? when digging for the other.

The sink / running water would depend on how far you are from the house, IMO. I assume the gas would be for heat. If you are going to open a trench for any sort of utilities, it certainly makes sense to include the piping and/or conduits for all options, even if you don't use them right away. May as well include a pipe or two for cable / internet / telephone, while you are at it.

• Like 1

Not sure where you are located but where I live that would definitely be a fair price for that kind of work.

I just had natural gas radiant heating installed and it's great. I had previously been running a 1500W electrical space heater 24/7 to keep everything from freezing (it was COLD here as recently as a month ago) and couldn't get the temp over 50F. Once the radiant heater was connected it raised the temp in my shop to 70F within 20 minutes - as an experiment, I'm keeping it in the low 60s for now.

The sink / running water would depend on how far you are from the house, IMO. I assume the gas would be for heat. If you are going to open a trench for any sort of utilities, it certainly makes sense to include the piping and/or conduits for all options, even if you don't use them right away. May as well include a pipe or two for cable / internet / telephone, while you are at it.

It's a short distance from the house, but I would say a round trip to the bathroom / sink would take a good 5+ minutes. I agree about adding the other piping, definitely going to do that!

Do it. That is good pricing if it carries warranty.

Thank you! Glad I am not going crazy!

IF I had a detached shop and wanted utilities ran to it. I really don't see that as being a deal breaker. That quote seems quite reaSonable to me. I do agree about having the extra services run just in case.

Good, thank you! I will definitely have the extra utilities ran!

Not sure where you are located but where I live that would definitely be a fair price for that kind of work.

I just had natural gas radiant heating installed and it's great. I had previously been running a 1500W electrical space heater 24/7 to keep everything from freezing (it was COLD here as recently as a month ago) and couldn't get the temp over 50F. Once the radiant heater was connected it raised the temp in my shop to 70F within 20 minutes - as an experiment, I'm keeping it in the low 60s for now.

Awesome! Glad to hear it! I would LOVE radiant floor heating, but the floor is already poured as the garage was built many years ago. However, if I end up having to tear up the floor to level it, I will definitely look into adding it.

Seems to me like a fair price. Make sure he reputable and licensed. 

Good! And yes, he is licensed, I need to do some further research on his reputation...

Not to be a wet blanket but, if it seems too good.....

Suggest getting a second quote just to verify the first one.

It does seem a bit cheap...however there aren't a lot of options for plumbers around here. This is a pretty big, licensed, company. So I'm hoping all is well.

Is that to just to do the trenching get it to the garage/shop, and you do the rest yourself?

That includes everything, trenching, bringing the pipes out of the house, installing a vent stack, and tieing in a new 1" sewer / drain line into the septic. Will leave me with stubs to finish myself inside the garage.

That includes everything, trenching, bringing the pipes out of the house, installing a vent stack, and tieing in a new 1" sewer / drain line into the septic. Will leave me with stubs to finish myself inside the garage.

Hope 1" sewer is a typo!  He should be running at least 2" it's code minimum for underground waste piping, even if it is just for a sink. Personally, I would run 3" incase you ever want to add a commode.

As far as being too cheap, I don't think that is overly cheap, I would say fair. It all depends where he is tying in to the existing. If tying into the existing is accessible, then the job is fairly easy. Hoe operator for the day is about $500. where I live materials are going to run about the same. So for one days work he is pocketing roughly $2,500. maybe he pays a helper $200 for the day. Still makes money.   

• 3 weeks later...

Hope 1" sewer is a typo!  He should be running at least 2" it's code minimum for underground waste piping, even if it is just for a sink. Personally, I would run 3" incase you ever want to add a commode.

As far as being too cheap, I don't think that is overly cheap, I would say fair. It all depends where he is tying in to the existing. If tying into the existing is accessible, then the job is fairly easy. Hoe operator for the day is about $500. where I live materials are going to run about the same. So for one days work he is pocketing roughly $2,500. maybe he pays a helper $200 for the day. Still makes money.   

I will double check with him on the pipe measurement. I did think about adding at the least a urinal, that's a whole nother discussion though.

That makes sense with the figures you posed here...I suppose it is a fair price indeed!

We don't need much heat in Southern California and that's the only thing I would use gas for.  I have a deep sink in the garage next to my shop about 5 steps from the shop. In all my fantisy shop designs I would definately include a deep sink.  And perhaps a urinal.

We don't need much heat in Southern California and that's the only thing I would use gas for.  I have a deep sink in the garage next to my shop about 5 steps from the shop. In all my fantisy shop designs I would definately include a deep sink.  And perhaps a urinal.

I spose I will have to see how the rest of my planning goes.