New shop ideas

Stevenn77

The dream of my own real shop has finally come true!  Now comes the difficult choices of how to develop it into the pictures in my mind.  My wife and I recently purchased property in northern Minnesota with a 36'x60' insulated and finished shop with 14' side walls.  She has told me that there is also a house on the property, maybe some day I will go in there as well. 

As for my new shop, it is a dream and in need of some modifications.  The electrical service is only 100 amp and this has me concerned.  Will this be enough to run a full shop on?    Also, the heat is a bit lacking, but I have a wood boiler that is being used at about 60% or capacity so I think that running a second heat sorce will be no problem.  

We get into my "real problems" as I begin laying out things such as dust collection and plumbing for air.  I plan to install a cyclone unit, inside or outdoors has not been determined, but the high side walls and ceiling have me concerned.  I am wondering about suspending my ducting down from the ceiling to avoid using most of the units suction capacity in vertical runs from machines up to the main trunk.  Any input on this idea would be great. 

Basically I am looking or any ideas or feedback on what to do with this space, while I share my good fortune with everyone.  OK, I guess I am bragging. 

Pictures and more info to come. 

100 amps should be plenty for the shop..  Many here would kill to have that much power.

How tall is your ceiling?  Makes a difference in the dust collection answers..

It's a nice sized shop!  Suggest building a "utilities" room in one corner and sound proofing it.  Put your DC and your air compressor in there.

Yep.  My entire house, shop included, is run on 100A service.  I have a 50A sub-panel for the shop and part of the basement and I've never tripped a breaker.  How often will you run more than two 220V machines at one time?  Never.  Add lights, heating/cooling, stereo, etc...you're still nowhere near 100A.  That's a huge shop and plenty of power and I hate you. :D

If my ceiling height was that tall and my shop that large I would sleeper the floor where my machines reside and run my dust collection under floor. This accomplishes a few things. Great insulation under foot, hidden dust collection, and the chance to run electric out to the middle of the shop for in floor outlets. Being so large you can do this by adding one step up to the shop platform without blocking doors.  Window height may be the only concern.

• Like 1

100A is lots for shop and house, unless you have electric heat or lots of AC. 5HP dust collector will draw somewhere around 15A - 18A & a 3HP table saw about 12 or 13 when it's working hard. Those are likely the 2 largest machines that would run at the same time.

I agree 100 amp is alot of power for a one man shop. I have a 100 amp sub panel and have never come close to having power issues. I only run 2 tools at a time and my machines are all on 220.

As for the cyclone, do your research. I got an oneida 3hp and the separation is terrible. I need to vent outside cause my filter gets so clogged with dust.

I agree 100 amp is alot of power for a one man shop. I have a 100 amp sub panel and have never come close to having power issues. I only run 2 tools at a time and my machines are all on 220.

As for the cyclone, do your research. I got an oneida 3hp and the separation is terrible. I need to vent outside cause my filter gets so clogged with dust.

This bring up a question. If your DC system is efficient and traps everything, you lose suction, so why doesn't Dyson build a DC unit?

100a feeder is fine for a shop – actually, 60a is fine unless you get yourself some big tools. Spend the extra $15 and get a 125a panel for the extra lugs – that’s my setup and works AOK...

You’re planning a big shop – that can be a challenge for DC... You’ve got two basic choices: congregate your stationary machines on one end of the building near the cyclone to keep the runs short and go with a beefy 3HP or no-so-beefy 5HP cyclone – both with 8” inlet... Or, if you want to spread-out, get a beefy 5HP w/ 8” inlet. Shane’s experience aside (3HP, but only 6” inlet – which is an extremely odd combo – I don’t see it in their catalog anymore), I’d get an Oneida...

You can suspend ductwork from the ceiling just fine – there are many videos on that, but it's a pain and usually a two-man operation. However, at 14’, I’d go ceiling mount and have Oneida design the ductwork – they’ll insert diameter reductions in the main trunk and branches to keep the velocity above 4K... The cost of ductwork design will offset the cost and hassle factor of hanging the ductwork...

It's a nice size for a shop -- enjoy.

These are great ideas! Thanks a lot. I like the idea of sending my layout to a company for a duct layout. Also, I think I will stick with the 100 amp panel for now and run a second meter and panel down the road. Adding a bathroom and finish room are jumping up on the priority list.

To give a better idea of dust collector needs I am running

Delta 5hp unisaw

Jet 3hp cabinet table saw

Jet drum sander

Planer

Miter saw

6" jet cabinet jointer

Router table

14" band saw

1236 jet lathe

5x5 down draft table

That is the majority of my dust collector tooling and I am hoping to add a couple of floor sweeps. I am thinking minimum 5 hp is needed. It will not be a true one man shop. I teach some one on one lessons and hope to offer the facility as an open shop to some others in the area.

My shop is considerable smaller but, in order to minimize suction loss, I put my dust collector in one corner and ran almost horizontally on long 2 walls where I located my dust creating toys. I put the 2 mains about 24" above the floor so it goes behind my equpiment.  Very few vertical lines.  Remember that if you only use one machine at a time, you can close the blast gates to everything else and maximize your suction.  Also keeps the size of the main from getting to big.