Which Jointer (Spiral vs Knives)

earbogast

Which would be the smarter buy?  Narrowed down to Jet 8" 2hp with knives for $1429 free shipping or Grizzly 8" 3hp with spiral cutterhead for $1425 after shipping.  With only $4 separating the two I'm trying to decide what may be considered better known Jet with knives or Grizzly lesser known with spiral cutterhead.  HP not a consideration between the two.  Thanks in advance.

Earl

Jet is not head and shoulders above Grizzly, despite its much higher price tag and pretty white paint and popular belief.  It's a superior machine, but only slightly.  The Grizzly may frustrate you a bit more when it's time for calibration and maintenance, but it's still a no brainer in this case...Grizzly.  Check the beds and fence very carefully for flat as soon as you recieve the machine...everything else can be tweaked.

Then there is the issue of do you but the grizzly with the segmented cutter head or buy the one with straight knives and the Byrd Shelix cutter head and swap it out.  That can be an even less expensive option.  And grizzly sells the shelix cutterhead.

I got that figured at $1,313.  For the G0656P and 8" shelix cutterhead.  With shipping

Mine comes in on Wednesday. Super excited ?

oh very cool, let us know how it goes...

Just ordered the GO656P which went on sale today.  Also ordered the Byrd cutterhead separately and with $25 shipping coupon, it came to $1289.90.  The GO656x is the same machine with a cutterhead already installed but it $1425 total.  Thanks for pointing that out turtle.

oh now that is a sweet deal there!! 

oh very cool, let us know how it goes...

oh now that is a sweet deal there!! 

I was listening to old episodes of wood talk and Shannon found out that they carry the shelix cutter heads for their planers and that they are cheaper to get and upgrade yourself than the segmented cutter heads, so I checked if that was true for jointers and shared the knowledge.