Fret Saw?

Lee Bussy

See here's how good Knew marketing is - after seeing saws for $20 I wonder what's wrong with them.

The mass flopping about is a good point.  I was thinking of using this to help cut the waste on dovetails and things like that.  12" of throat where I only need a few is probably too much.

Is there any way to tension these, or do you compress the frame when you put the blade in?

I use a "jeweler's saw" way more than the deep one.  In fact, I can't even remember what I used the deep one for the last time it was used.  The handle screws on to tighten like a coping saw, but mine has no name on it, so may be a bit different than an Olson

Like a coping saw, the blade is used most of the time with the teeth turned 90 degrees away from the depth of the frame, so the deep one is rarely needed.

I learned that with a well tensioned blade if you can keep your stroke speed up and feed rate slow the blade breakage is less frequent. From what I have seen and played with the Knew Concepts saw you have a stronger and lighter frame. So strength lets you tension the blade and less weight makes it easier to keep the stroke speed up. You are going to break blades but taking light cuts at a higher speed works best for me, especially when cutting a tight turn.

On 14 February 2016 at 10:56 PM, Tony Wilkins said:

I got a Knew Concepts 3" after reading Derek Cohen's article on them.  However, the first time I tried it the blade snapped and I never put a replacement in. Not much help I suppose but I just felt it fragile in some way.

That's silly Tony. Put another blade in and use it. 

One only snaps a blade when the saw is used incorrectly (if not very worn). 

Do not force the saw (any saw) through a cut, and it will reward you with accurate sawing.

Regards from Perth

Derek

On 13 February 2016 at 7:38 AM, Lee Bussy said:

Anyone have an opinion?

k2-_6bd0b510-335f-44d0-9453-81b996f97b23

Olson Saw Sf63507 Fret Saw Fret Saw, Flat Wire Frame - $21.95

What do you want it for?

Regards from Perth

Derek

On 2/14/2016 at 8:56 AM, Tony Wilkins said:

I got a Knew Concepts 3" after reading Derek Cohen's article on them.  However, the first time I tried it the blade snapped and I never put a replacement in. Not much help I suppose but I just felt it fragile in some way.

So ... sell it to me. :)

1 hour ago, derekcohen said:

What do you want it for?

Mostly thinking cutting out dovetail waste.

Tony, if you have not already done so, visit the Knew Concepts web site.  There are videos there on installing the blad that should help. The size of your fingers probably isn't the issue.  The videos also discuss how much tension to use-it is easy to over do it and cause blades to break.  I relax the tension on mine I'd I am not using it for a while, just like I do on my bandsaw. Not sure it matters, but it makes me feel better.