Copying a Pinterest picture....

Jason Hotze

So I have a clients table that I am getting close to being finished with and they changed the color on me.. I had planned on using a mix of general finishes dark brown and orange dye stain to spray on but the sent me this picture of a Pinterest table they like better...

My question is what's the best way to copy this? Easy answer is to find the min wax stain that looks alike and slop it on. The blotchy-ness would look "rustic". Is there a better way to match this color with the black undertones? Thanks! Image1461030009.541252.jpg.f36cb3bdd655d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, be sure to bang some chains on top of the table. The indentations it leaves will be darker than the surrounding area. You could make a nice table, and let time do it's thing. But nobody is interested in having nice things anymore. And who has the patience to wait for it to look like garbage 20 years from now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

In support of OP, how many times have I heard it said on here that the customer is always right if the money is right!

Yep..  If that's what the client wants and you're willing to build it, then it is what it is..  Fact is that everyone's taste and opinions are different. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Llama said:

I gave good advice. Despite of how I feel of the project. 

10 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Yep..  If that's what the client wants and you're willing to build it, then it is what it is..  Fact is that everyone's taste and opinions are different. 

I don't disagree. I'd build an outdoor crapper from YOUR best mahogany if the price was right and I didn't get caught? Not really, just saying!

4 minutes ago, TIODS said:

I seem to recall a black and gold table... :) That thing was, well classic. Yeah, that's what it was. Classic! :ph34r:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Llama said:

I seem to recall a black and gold table... :) That thing was, well classic. Yeah, that's what it was. Classic! :ph34r:

Exactly!  However, that particular build started off really cool and then got a massive change order mid project once the designer got involved.  Had I of known that the finished project was supposed to look like that up front, I wouldn't have accepted the build.

I'm fortunate in that I can turn builds down if I want to.  I don't need the money to fund my tool collection or put food on the table.  Not everyone is in that boat tho so, understand building things that aren't necessarily appealing to us as builders.

• Like 1

Haha well as much as they probably would like pocket screws it's just not happening. I always do test boards for finishes I was just trying to get in the ballpark. It's made of clear pine but they do not want me to beat the crap out of it. They want to let the table become distressed over time. It's going to actually be pretty nice i think I was just excited about spraying dye stain for the first time...

This is one of the bases for the trestle. Still have a lot of rounding and edge work to do.

9faa7cdb3c0fb05d6b57a7887eacd6bb.jpg

Maybe I'm trying to make it more complicated than it should be but I was thinking General finishes Dark Brown Dye stain with a few parts of Orange mixed to give it an older look.  Seal that with some dewaxed shellac and I have some Java and Candlelite Gel stain that I can use if I want to make it look darker or lighter in spots.  Finish it with regular poly, pretty thick so its durable and will amber over time..  Obviously I will test it first but it will suck to buy the dye and it not even come close...

1 minute ago, Jason Hotze said:

Obviously I will test it first but it will suck to buy the dye and it not even come close...

That's why you buy walnut if you want it to look like walnut.  Or wait a hundred years or buy an antique table if you want a table that looks like it's a hundred years old.  Stain should be illegal.  I'll go to the grave saying that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eric. said:

That's why you buy walnut if you want it to look like walnut.  Or wait a hundred years or buy an antique table if you want a table that looks like it's a hundred years old.  Stain should be illegal.  I'll go to the grave saying that.

unless you are doucette and wolfe :)

18 minutes ago, Keggers said:

The picture looks like a pine table that was set on fire and then sanded.

Hmmm..  Maybe not a bad way to go...

It's funny because I had to bring the client to my shop and show them the entire process of why it costs "so" much.  They were amazed I couldn't just use 2x4's....