Finally new toy

mrrhode04

1 hour ago, mrrhode04 said:

@mat60 It is a SuperMax 19-38. Now that I have one I can't wait to get using it, I would have had one a while ago but either didn't have the money or a other tool needed to be bought first. @gee-dub do you have an example of what type of storage you are talking about?

Look at gee-dub's pic!

4 hours ago, gee-dub said:

I also have the Supermax 19-38. It is a godsend for things like cutting boards. The base is fairly useless other then for holding the sander off the ground. Do yourself a favor and built-in some storage. 

19-38-stand(25).jpg

Did you build this around the existing stand or as a replacement? I suspect as a replacement due to the width of the drawers?

• Like 1

Just my thinking but I wouldnt mess with your open stand much..Yes you can get some storage out of it but did you see Dee-gubs stand....Its a great one with lots of room..Even a cabinet with doors and chelfs would be ok..

Well maybe not a built in but I was thinking something with drawers and then if I want later I could hang it on the wall. More like a large box with some drawers in it. I don't really have the room to make something larger than the open stand in this shop, maybe the next one.

On 5/20/2016 at 7:48 PM, gee-dub said:

I tried to buy the unit without the stand as I find it pretty non-functional for a small shop.  I even offered to pay full price if they would just keep the stand.  Now its taking up space in my shed.  I can't spare that kind of real estate for a machine base that doesn't offer storage.  The base I built seems massive but, is in fact a smaller footprint than the sander itself. You can see the motor still hangs outside the footprint despite all the storage the base offers.

The sander, as you know, is quite heavy.  To support the machine and the approximately 25" x 25" drawers I built the top and bottom sections as torsion boxes.  This allows a frameless design with more than enough strength to hold the machine and anything I put on it.  You may notice the top section between the top drawer and the top panel to which the machine mounts.

The drawers were already almost comically deep so I made a row of shelves at the rear to hold shop made rolls, the blanks I make them from and a few frequently reached for items like a brush and an abrasive cleaning stick.

Supermax 19-38 (15).jpg

You can see I took advantage of the area under the infeed table to hand my edge sander belts from short sections of PVC pipe.  You might have also noticed I use old shaving cream can caps to hold the grits not in use (I got a check from Woodsmith for that one).  This also reminds my old brain of what grit I currently have on the machine ;-)

Supermax 19-38 (16).jpg

The funny section at the top I mentioned earlier is removable to allow tightening and loosening the machine from the base if service is ever required.  It rolls easily even though it is so heavy I don't even have to set the wheel locks . . . could've saved a few bucks there.

What the heck man, did you win a lifetime supply of sandpaper or something??? Dats reedik-U-lussss !!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, trialbyfire said:

Do you have any issues with those casters rolling on you? They look just like the ones I bought from big orange this morning.

First I have to apologize to Tom as this line of discussion is totally hi-jacking his thread.

The casters are Peachtree's version of the often discussed "Woodcraft" casters.  I noticed at a show two years ago that they seem to be sourced from a different maker so my experience is with this 3" version.  You can see that my gara . . . er . . . shop floor is the same worn out painted surface it was when I bought the place but, it is not bad.  That is; not polished or epoxied but, not rough and raw either.

I easily swing the sander out into position, hook up electrical and DC and go to work.  The first few times I set the brakes and still do (just in case) for larger pieces being worked.  Out of habit I failed to set the brakes when doing a 1" x 30" x 50" cherry top.  Even with the size / weight of the top, the rotating, re-running and all that I did not have a problem and only noticed afterward.

Again to clarify (since I have a habit of rambling on), I do not have to chase the machine around as it rolls away from me during use.  The casters roll as if oil dampened even new and held in the hand.  They are not hard to roll but, if you flick the wheel it does not spin.  This characteristic may contribute to them holding still.

I use the same casters on my outfeed/assembly table and I do set the brakes on that.  Both units have one set of fixed and one set of locking-swivel casters.

13 hours ago, shaneymack said:

What the heck man, did you win a lifetime supply of sandpaper or something??? Dats reedik-U-lussss !!

Abrasives are disposables.  If you do not subscribe to Klingpor's Woodworking Shop emails, sign up.  They are hardly the "low price leader" on a lot of stuff but, they have reedik-U-lussss sales and clearance offers over the years.  You do sort of have to "lay in wait" but, when what you use comes along at a clearance price, you pounce.  Better abrasives than many folks use at a price that's hard to beat ;-)

• Like 2